Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2006, 06:27 PM

Default $3/$6 - JJJ - Value bet River?

Hadn't sat for very long, but my limited experience w/ villain indicated nothing too out of line.

I paused on the river and wondered if there was value in a bet and if I would have to fold to a raise. Thoughts?

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J, J.
Hero raises</font>, 3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 7, 9, J (2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 6 (2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5.16 BB) 8 (2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero??.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:34 PM

Default Re: $3/$6 - JJJ - Value bet River?

Don't forfeit this opportunity to throw another bet into the pot.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:36 PM

The BB will call you with any pair, which means you have to value bet the river. Youre giving up too much value if you check here. Getting checkraised and being faced with a decision is merely the negative side of making good aggressive value bets. No strategy is perfect. If checkraised, I would call with ease given your limited read on the villian.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:37 PM

I bet/fold the river. No worse hands will check/raise you on this flushy/straighty board, and enough will call to have value in a bet.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet/fold the river. No worse hands will check/raise you on this flushy/straighty board, and enough will call to have value in a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Swong, theres enough retarded/aggressive people online who will check/raise this river with 2 pair or somehow a worse set, to make a crying call here profitable against an unknown, IMO. And im not including other hands like retarded bluffs or a badly played AA or KK which happens from time to time cuz people like to be tricky.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Swong, theres enough retarded/aggressive people online who will check/raise this river with 2 pair or somehow a worse set, to make a crying call here profitable against an unknown, IMO. And im not including other hands like retarded bluffs or a badly played AA or KK which happens from time to time cuz people like to be tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]
ILP, I agree with your points, and they all came to mind as I soon as I posted my reply. Overall, I think I tend to trust players more than you until proven otherwise, and even moreso on the river. I don't know if that's right or wrong.

Btw, nice win Sat.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:08 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments.

I checked it through and villain turned over a 7 w/ no kicker. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2006, 07:13 PM

Easy bet/call. You can beat a number of hands that might check raise you here, 88, J8, 89.. and perhaps a few more. Your hand is strong enough to bet here even on a very unfriendly board.

I might bet/fold AJ or KJ here, because there aren't any check/raise hands that you have beaten, but there are still some hands that pay you off.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:30 PM

Swong: "Overall, I think I tend to trust players more than you until proven otherwise, and even moreso on the river. I don't know if that's right or wrong."

I think it's usually good to trust players on the river at 3/6 until proven otherwise. But the point here is that they may not think they're bluffing. As ILP says, there are a lot of worse hands that might checkraise without thinking they're bluffing.