Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2006, 08:33 AM

Default 30-60 stud hand

8-handed. I've got (7c6c)2c. Zero clubs are out. I bring-in and it's folded around to the last player, a very aggressive player who often makes serious errors of overaggression against others but generally gets in line very quickly against me, although he will still calldown with weak hands, he just won't massively overplay them.

Anyways, he raises. I reraise and he calls.

On fourth, he catches the (xx)Qd7d and I catch (7c6c)2c5c. He checks, I bet, he calls.

On fifth, he catches the 5d and has three diamonds showing. I catch the Qs. He bets and I call.

On sixth, he catches an offsuit 6 and I catch an offsuit 3. He checks and I bet, intending to fire any river if he checks to me unless I pair the seven.

I don't think my sixth street plan is terrible, but I think I made it cost one more bet than it had to. I don't think I lose any priviliges by checking behind sixth, I think my opponent's hand is transparent as a total draw, and that he will play honestly on the river.

-Michael
Old 09-19-2006, 08:45 AM

Default Re: 30-60 stud hand

On 3rd I call because my draw has no decent pair chances. Hoping to catch a pair of 7s just isn't too good.

4th is good (obviously)

5th could be your chance to try to take him off a iffy hand. But that could get ugly quick given his board. A call is standard...but I'd at least mull over trying to knock him out there

6th. I believe this should only be a bet if you think you can take him off a hand like bare Qs with a river bet. But since you say he calls down with weak hands I think you should take the free card here.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:07 AM

jon,

Regarding third street, this game is generally aggressive, and I almost never get to see fourth street after bringing-in even though many pots are multiway. It's almost an automatic raise for my opponent when it's folded around to him, and since I am so often folding here (more often than any of my opponents and they know this), I want them to know they are going to have to bring a lot of chips to the fight the times I do pick up a hand. It's true that I have little pair equity, but it's also true that no matter what I catch there's a good chance I've caught my opponent holding nothing and he's going to fold on fifth.

On 5th, I considered jacking it up, but given my board I thought a call would look more realistic, as if I had a weak made hand. Given the way my opponent has played his hand, I think there is virtually no chance he started with Qs or any decent pair. Thus, I really think my opponent has a draw here and that I'm not getting him to fold. But, it may be worth putting in an extra bet that I may earn value with considering how often he will fold later (which is also an argument in favor of a sixth street bet, although when considering this I am only getting 1:2 so it's tough to imagine much value coming from this if I did not also have flush+gut draws).

-Michael
Old 09-19-2006, 10:43 AM

Michael,

I like a check behind on 6th. It has been discussed here before, but surprisingly, bluffs on the river may work better after checking 6th. Nevermind the fact that it only costs you one bet instead of two.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:03 AM

I know this sounds pretty weak, especially against someone in steal position, but I fold on 5th street. The problem is he probably has atleast 1 diamond giving him the better draw, and he almost certainly has higher cards than you too. You are a pretty big underdog, and can get into trouble quick if you make the flush and he does too.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:13 AM

I didn't like your rr on 3rd, but read your response to jon and I can see it. To follow through on that, I was thinking I liked just calling/betting it the whole way. Then read Frappe's suggestion to fold 5th. This is an interesting hand.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:01 PM

Hand seems very opponent specific to me, especially given that you seem to know him well. I think I check 6th.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:28 PM

Default Hello,Beer! Why check 6th if U are planning to...

continue the drive on 7th with a busted hand?

U want to represent a good hand on 6th. So if U check,then ur oppo. will know that u are weak--otherwise,U would continue the drive,

Checking on 6th and then betting out on 7th is MORE indicative of a bluff attempt than betting out on 6th and 7th.
HappyPokering, [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
SittingBull
Old 09-19-2006, 02:10 PM

MD,
I definetely see the "defend when I actually have something" line. The problem is that you've said that this guy likes to see showdowns. And given that your hand isn't too strong hot/cold the reraise is less good.

If you think you opponent would raise/fold K83 then I like the reraise (because he'll fold a TON of hands)

If you opponent would fold K83 yet raise/peel with A9K..then I like calling
Old 09-19-2006, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand seems very opponent specific to me

[/ QUOTE ]

This is key