Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2006, 06:20 AM

Default Ever hear a dealer tell the players, \"Don\'t Look!\"?

Not a very exciting story, but it's unique. This really doesn't merit its own thread, but God only knows where else I would put it:

Two players in the hand on the turn.

Suddenly, the door to the shuffle machine flies open, and the display reads, "Shuffle aborted".

The muck had been sitting on the machine, and now over half the deck is on its side, facing the two players involved in the pot, or face up on the table.

Luckily, the door remained open, and it hid all the exposed cards from the two remaining players. The dealer turned all the cards face down, and play continued.

While the two players bet the river, the dealer noticed that the door is still open, and the display reads, "Auto Set-Up", which really means the machine is frozen. Dealer drops the stub, and pushes down on the rising platform that brings the cards up out of the box, in order to get the door to close.

As the door starts to close, players on the far side of the door quickly inform the dealer that there are three or four cards still leaning on the door, and they have fallen into the groove, which means that when the door closes, these cards will still be standing on their edge, exposed to the players who are still in the hand.

So as the door closes, the dealer tries to cover the cards with his hands, and he cries out to the players involved in the hand, "Don't look!"
Old 09-19-2006, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Ever hear a dealer tell the players, \"Don\'t Look!\"?

It's an unfortunate situation that happens more than you think. The shuffle masters do cause errors. Most dealers keep the muck on top uf the shuffle machine and when an error occurs with the machine the cards shoule be removed from the top of the machine before opening the machine. In the situation you decribed it sounds like the dealer was in a rush to get the machine up and running as quick as he could ie... hand per hour comes into play. Either way the muck shoud have been taken of the top of the shufle machine before hitting nay buttons.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:05 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

Thread Hijack, Does the Shoe spread HORSE?and Are you dealing the WSOP up here in October?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:06 AM

you owe me 20 seconds
Old 09-19-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thread Hijack, Does the Shoe spread HORSE?and Are you dealing the WSOP up here in October?

[/ QUOTE ] No HORSE at the Shoe.. I mean we will spread it if enough players want it, but there just hasn't been an interest for it. As far as coming back up there in October. Hell no! I lost money on that trip. Harrah's made us pay for our hotel, pay for food, no trasportation reimbursement, and as far as night life after mid-night there was none.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most dealers keep the muck on top uf the shuffle machine...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen a dealer do this. Now that I think about it, it seems all Vegas dealers keep the muck on the opposite site of the table (if the shuffler is to the right of the board cards, the muck is kept to the left).
Old 09-19-2006, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most dealers keep the muck on top uf the shuffle machine...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen a dealer do this. Now that I think about it, it seems all Vegas dealers keep the muck on the opposite site of the table (if the shuffler is to the right of the board cards, the muck is kept to the left).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with Dynasty on this one. I have never seen a dealer keep the muck on top of the shuffler, possibly because they sometimes tend to futz around with the shuffler while a hand is in progress. FWIW I live in LA. Maybe it's an East coast thing.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the muck shoud have been taken of the top of the shufle machine before hitting nay buttons.

[/ QUOTE ]

No buttons were hit. The machine aborted the shuffle on it's own, and sprang open, into "Auto Set-Up" mode, much to the surprise of everybody.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you owe me 20 seconds

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't blame me, you were warned in the opening sentence.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you owe me 20 seconds

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't blame me, you were warned in the opening sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]
thats what i was talking about. i read slow.