Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 07:21 PM

Default Getting a 2nd cat - good idea?

OK, it's been over six weeks since I started a cat thread and I swear I won't make a habit of it, but I'm having a dilemma.

I have a condo, and as such can't have a dog (well, I could have a little yippy one but no thanks). OOT was VERY helpful - moreso than my IRL friends or online research - in how to go about procuring said cat. I made a great choice - he's fun, fearless, and low maintenance.

Everyone loves the kitty - he's about 5 months old now - and when I went to Atlanta last week a friend of mine and his wife asked me to drop him off, even though he totally would have been fine here for 1.5 days.

They have two older cats, one is very territorial, but in those two days he broke down their barriers. They went from hissing at him to where he could jump on top of them and chase them around the place. Plus they have 1000 toys that he was taking full advantage of.

Now that he's back home I feel like he's missing out on a lot because I leave him here for long stretches and he doesn't have much to do.

As such, I'm thinking about getting a second cat from the pound. I doubt I'll get as lucky as this one, but another kitty that he can mess around with all day.

Question: does anyone have experience getting a second cat, and if so how did it change the dynamic of the household?

Also, per the advice of people here I got a male, it was mentioned that they will get along with either gender, whereas two females may have issues. If I do get another, what gender would be best to go with this boy kitty?

I may have exhausted all of you on this topic, but so many of you were extremely helpful that I thought I would ask one more time and hope I haven't run out of luck.

Thanks.

-- tuq
Old 09-18-2006, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Getting a 2nd cat - good idea?

I'm somewhat of a sucker for cats myself. So let be the first say:

This thread is useless w/out pics!
Old 09-18-2006, 07:29 PM

Yep... a good idea.
Get him a girlfriend. The mix of male/female is best. They keep each other company when you're away... It does take some time for a newbie to be allowed into the alpha kitty's space. Would suggest putting the new cat in a spare room for 24 hrs and pet it alot... then let your other cat get used to the scent from your hands and vice-versa. I've always had 2 cats and always will. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Good luck!
Old 09-18-2006, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a male, it was mentioned that they will get along with either gender, whereas two females may have issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that rule of thumb only applied to hippopotamusses.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:35 PM

getting a second kitten will provide hours of enjoyment for both you and the cat. highly recommended
Old 09-18-2006, 07:43 PM

Gobias,

Thanks. These are fairly recent:

I particularly like the last one, it's an "action" photo - I have a pimp lamp I use to read before bedtime, kitty likes to come over and mess with the chains. As the photo shows, he just gave one a swat and was staring at it, transfixed.

The other responses I've gotten thus far have been awesome. Looks like a go. The most amazing thing about cats is how cheap they are - food + litter = ~$5 week in cost to me. Getting another one would still be well within my budget.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:46 PM

I think an extra cat is great if they get along. Cats are fun. Be careful though, you don't have a cat, you have a kitten. Most kittens become significantly less playful as they age. You may be disappointed when you end up with a family of lazy furballs that just lay around all day.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:58 PM

yes get another cat. My two cats love each other, and keeps them entertained when Im away for long periods of time.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes get another cat. My two cats love each other, and keeps them entertained when Im away for long periods of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU have cats? Not my image of you at all...
Old 09-18-2006, 08:02 PM

If i could convince the wife to get a cat i would, but shes more into dogs. I do love my puppy tho.

When i lived with my parents we had between 1 cat and 5 depending on who was living there at the time. There was never any ill will between them and there was a good mix of genders.

I would assume you would want to get another young cat to go with this one.