Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 10:22 AM

Default Poker + the ball and chain

-EV for sure, but does anyone have a particular way of dealing with the rath of the wife? I'll admit that I've spent quite a few hours playing online, but how else are you suppose to get any good at it without practice? Since there's only 24 hours in a day and nobody has created a time freezing machine yet....how do you balance the woman and a quite demanding hobby?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Poker + the ball and chain

A response I wrote in another thread:

[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend is awesome about me playing poker. She lets me play for as long as I want and pretty much just says "Okay, call me when you're done playing if you wanna do anything."

If I'm deep in a tournament, she'll come down and give me a massage or just keep my confidence up and if I get a bad beat, she'll console me and whatever.

I usually play for a few hours when she's at class, and then I'll play while she's busy with friends or at work, and she never complains about me playing too much.

Just gotta find the right one I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-18-2006, 11:29 AM

Try not to let it get the rath stage first.
It wouldnt hurt to buy her something from your winnings or take her someplace nice from time to time. Maybe it would help if she looked at your hobby another way. My wife looks at it as a part time job/hobby. At first I think she considered it just another hobby but I kept her informed on how I was doing along the way. So she knows how Ive grown my roll and about the ups and downs of playing.
Im sure it helps also that my play online is paying for our vacation at the end of this month.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A response I wrote in another thread:

[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend is awesome about me playing poker. She lets me play for as long as I want and pretty much just says "Okay, call me when you're done playing if you wanna do anything."

If I'm deep in a tournament, she'll come down and give me a massage or just keep my confidence up and if I get a bad beat, she'll console me and whatever.

I usually play for a few hours when she's at class, and then I'll play while she's busy with friends or at work, and she never complains about me playing too much.

Just gotta find the right one I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My wife is just like that. I got seriously lucky.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:04 PM

What specifically is she angry about?
Old 09-18-2006, 12:08 PM

Does she hate poker specifically or would she do this with any hobby? Maybe you have to sacrifice a few hours of poker a week to maintain your relationship. Unless you don't care about the relationship, then you should tell her that you don't care straight up versus using poker as an excuse to ignor her and get her to be a bitch and then blaming it all on her. Then you tell her that you're not putting up with it anymore and you want a divorce because she just can't understand. But really it was me (well in this case you) that was too much of a pussy to say how I (well in this case you) really feel.

Ok maybe I have done this before.. Probably doesn't even pertain to your situation.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you balance the woman and a quite demanding hobby?

[/ QUOTE ]

If she's against it? You don't.

I used to play pool, many years ago.

My wife said it was pool or her.

I still play pool, and poker, and my new girlfriend is ok with that...
Old 09-18-2006, 12:46 PM

Pass, but I have discovered a greater problem. My girl gets more miffed when I read a poker book than when I play online. I think its because I ignore her more when reading than playing. oh well, she will come around.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:20 PM

Haven't read the other responses, but:
1) never let her know that you refer to her as the ball and chain .

2)If you ever think of referring to her as the ball and chain refer back to point 1)

Regards,
Carl
Old 09-18-2006, 01:50 PM

lol...it's the many hobbies that take time away from her. However, i think it's more likely that she doesn't have any hobbies really to keep her occupied. Therefore, her boredom=my problem. Guessing the hours will have to be cut back...

Was also looking to see if others have encountered this problem and how they made it work. Cutting her loose isn't an option since this isn't a make or break sort of problem.