Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 12:33 AM

Default small straight draws to overcards

I am not sure how to play this type of hand. I am the bring in with a small straight draw and no one raises. I have 234, 345, 456 against paint and hit a 4 straight draw on 4th.

What is my play here? I know there are a lot of variables but I just want a general idea on folding or what.

TIA
Old 09-18-2006, 01:02 AM

Default Re: small straight draws to overcards

I assume that this is high-only. If you're not sure about these hands in stud/8, we need to have a heart-to-heart. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If you have an open-ended straight draw in high-only, you should plan on seeing the river unless you're given a good reason not to. Good reasons include paired door cards which indicate probable trips, and your straight cards falling dead.

Get 7CS4AP
Old 09-18-2006, 01:08 AM

high only.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:05 AM

You should strongly consider being aggressive on 4th in this situation. Unlike a live flush draw you aren't quite a favorite vs. a big pair, but your equity would be close to 50%. However, given no raise on 3rd you are less likely to be against a real hand, so you should raise or bet hoping to take down the pot, but being in pretty good shape if you don't.

There are a lot of variations based on how many opponents, what cards they are showing, but the important thing is that your hand IS pretty good, and you may have some "fold equity", so semi-bluffing is a strong option.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:57 AM

Thanks all,

Here is the situation that I have faced and am not sure what to do.

I have the bring in with 3 connected or a 1 gap. No raises, Lots of paint on the board. 4th street brings me 4 cards to the straight with even more paint all around. At this point no pairs, flushes out there but several kings, queens and aces.

Now I figure since a lot of big cards are dead I should be playing as you have noted. Since I won't be acting first what kind of play do I have?

1) From late position with the high hand to my left
2) From early position with the high hand to my right

Am I raising from LP in situation 1? In situation 2, do I raise if the high hand bets?

My thought is with all the dead big cards someone who pairs or makes 2 pair will stick around, the others go away. The only other real threat I can think of is a flush.

TIA
Old 09-18-2006, 11:10 AM

I think if there are two suited on board and you think you can get them out if they are facing a double bet, then try for it. If there was a bet in front and a number or callers i would consider raising to bloat the pot...with everyone having each others cards, you probably wont be beat by a higher straight...I would make a nice pot in case you hit...it will also buy you a free card down the road if you want it most of the time (this is all assuming your straight cards are live).
Old 09-18-2006, 11:13 AM

Really it's too dependent on exact upcards and such, but I would certainly consider raising in late position, probably not in early.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:22 AM

You want a lot of money going in the pot.. However that happens, do it.

Drunk again and lookin' to score.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:15 PM

Ok, thanks all. I will pound with this hand in the future.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:57 AM

I assume you mean an open ended straight of course.
Generally you would raise in late position, but be very wary of the two suited cards that raise in front of you... If there's a 4 flush out, your open ender basically turns into a gutshot for value. If someone raises in a multiway pot with 3 suited cards and no other obvious reason, it's probably worth folding.
Don't raise in early position except against idiots, many people will autofold to a raise even if they don't notice a 4 straight (or flush). If you get stuck smooth calling until the end with a straight because the high hand on your right keeps betting, then its just more money from the others. Maybe you could raise on 6th to get rid of some two pairs, but otherwise play it cool.