Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2006, 04:11 PM

Default Donkament play(?) in 20+2 MTT w/ 99\'s

20+2 Short-handed tournament, 17 players remain out of 249.

I've been outplaying the table aggresively in the beginning but since tables have moved I'd have to be recognized pretty conservative due to my "hibernation" of the past 30
minutes. (I've been keeping preassure only with quality hands but only a few of them made it to showdown.)

I was also a clear chipleader w/ 44k a moment ago until I lost a big chunk.

Anyway here's the handhistory:
Pokerhand.org

I raised somewhat standard amount from the 1st position to isolate and discourage action. A player instantly from behind raised over the top. At this point I was 80% sure I
was facing AK or minimum AQs with a slight chance of facing either jacks or tens. From my read he would've raised much less (7000-8000) with the top pairs (AA, KK & QQ) for
value and not to shut down the action by coming over the top. The table folds around me. I opt to push all-in knowing I'm taking a coin-toss.

How bad of a mistake was the all-in push? Was the correct play to call/push or fold? I can't yet decide - maybe fold?

a) The All-In Move
I was sure I'd get called from AK thus my fold equity is somewhat zero. With AQ he might fold. There was already lots of money in the pot, he would have been pretty
much pot committed if I just opted to call the raise. Also I was OOP for the rest of the hand and if scare card (let's say Q) falls on the board I can be pushed out of the
hand unless I push in first and he misses.

Call
b) Call and then push if no ace, king or queen flops. If he has JJ or TT I'm dead either way cause I can't win in a show-down and whether he elects to push (which he probably
does low-stacked) with JJ, after my check of course, and there's an ace on the board I have to fold.

Fold
c) Just fold. I'd still have avg. chipstack and try to live for another day. Although you can't just wait for all eternity on short-handed tables and 99's from that point of
view is a pretty strong hand.

First post. *blush* [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]