Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2006, 01:43 AM

Default Trip report: Neyland Stadium 9/16/06

A few thoughts from Section U (40 yard line, behind the Gator bench), 10th row:

I arrived early and parked behind the law school, about a 5 minute walk from the stadium. $40 - ouch!

Caught the Vol Walk (which the Gators ripped off) - it was hard to see the players. Then I watched the marching band (impressive) enter the stadium. Wish they had played more than just Rocky Top.

Despite all the vitriol I have for it, Rocky Top is an awesome fight song, and I wish UF's fight song didn't suck.

There's a Rocky Top dance mix. Oh, the humanity.

Tennessee's radio guy's signature line is "Give Him Six." Meh.

This stadium does not look like it seats 106K. Also, their jumbotron is tiny. And they don't run any replays. But their promos for other sports are MUCH better than UF's.

Neyland Stadium is LOUD. Not quite as loud as the Swamp, which can be painfully loud.

That said, the Tennessee boosters are much more boisterous that Florida's. That's why Neyland can be that loud without a massive student section.

Lots of Gators there... just not around my seats. I paid $570 for the pair, and I was told by the scalpers outside that I didn't overpay.

Tennessee fans are really nice, for the most part. Very gracious, a bunch shook my hand and told me to have a great time, &c.

Apparently, there's a problem with concessionaires overcharging - they make an announcement about it!

Just like in Gainesville, these seats are pretty tight. My father is with me, and he is NOT happy about it. Perhaps it wasn't so much the lack of space as it was the lunatics screaming in his ear.

The two crazy fans behind me are unloading on Trent Pupello, a backup tight end. He has long, flowing blond locks. Like Fabio. Hence, "Flabbio". Also, after he missed the second kick, they got onto Chris Hetland pretty good.

I was on TV. When UT scored to make it 17-7 in the 3rd, CBS panned my section. A sea of orange, going nuts, and there I am, in blue, arms folded, looking very angry, I'm told.

This is perhaps the best game I've ever seen, from the best seats I've ever had. When UF made it 17-14, the crowd got very deflated, as if they knew what was coming.

Traffic leaving the stadium was a nightmare.

I ain't gonna front - some of these Tennessee girls are cute!

The stadium had the band miked, and speakers in front of every section. After kickoff, the speakers turned off, and suddenly I couldn't hear the band anymore. Strange.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's not as bad as advertised.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Trip report: Neyland Stadium 9/16/06

Did they have moonshine at the concessions? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2006, 10:49 AM

Nice report. Great win.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:15 AM

Nice report. Informative and to the point.

A lot of the college stadiums don't look like they sit as many as they do. From the inside, Beaver Stadium (PSU) actually looks smaller than Lincoln Financial (PHI Eagles), but the difference between seats and bleachers is massive. They sure do cram people into the college stadiums w/ bleachers.