Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Moral financial decision

Im one those people who likes to be very honest and always get the truth out of whatever situation I encounter (yes I am a nit. Thus I am having trouble with this. Summary at bottom.

I am just finishing up a graduate degree. I was originally going to get a Ph.d but due to my chronic procastication and general lack of enthusiasm for school I decided to cut it short last spring.

My school like many others pays for every student's tuition and gives a small stipend for either doing research or being a TA. In order to keep this stipend a student must be fully enrolled (9 hours) and be doing research or TAing.

Last spring I enrolled for 9 hours but made an F in one of my classes because I didn't go but didn't drop because I wanted to remain a full time student so that I could keep my stipend and free tuition. I just kinda hoped nobody would take notice.
During the spring my stipend was based upon some research I was doing that would help me get my M.S. Basically, I had to a small project that had to be completed in order for me to get my Masters. During this time I actually did a fair amount of research. During the summer I continued on this project, again keeping my stipend. I kept working till about mid summer when I went on a two week vacation to Europe. When I came back I lost all interest in school and in completing the project. I just played poker and read 2+2 all day.

I completely avioded my advisors that I was working with. Finally, during mid August one of my advisors asked me what the hell I was doing and gave me some options. I could either continue with the project or get a non-thesis masters, but have to repay Spring tuition. I have to repay tuition because I made an 'F' and did not complete 9 hours that semester.

So now I am stuck with an 11k bill that needs to be paid to get my degree. So heres the catch. During the part of the summer where I refused to work, I did not cash any of my paychecks (I didnt have direct deposit.) I now have about 3k worth of checks that would benefit me greatly. I didn't cash the checks because I didn't think I deserved them. This was also during a time where I was playing 5-10 HU and doing quite well, so money wasn't really an issue. I have since gone busto due to severe massive tilt issues (see previous posts) and poor BR management.

I still have these checks but have not cahsed them. My parents are very much in favor of using them to pay for school. Obviously my moral qualm is with me not working at all to get this money.

Im sure there are plenty out there who don't earn their paychecks from week to week. I just simply did nothing for about 2 months. I realize most Ph.d students believe they are vastly underpaid, but again I really have done nothing the past two years. There also some times in the past couple years that I worked much longer than what I was paid for. Also, obviously there were weeks being a TA where I did close to nothing and got paid, but this time I had no classes over the summer, just research to do and did none of it.

So, what should I do with the 3k? I have until January to repay this.

Summary: I was in a Ph.D program but have decided to get a non-thesis masters degree. My school is making me repay 11k of tuition because I made an F and did not finish my research (thesis) project for them. I stopped doing research in the summer and had 3k worth of checks saved up because I was against getting money I did not work for. Should I use the money to help repay the 11k?
Old 09-16-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Moral financial decision

I'd use the $. Part of the tuition cost was for that 3k. That 3k didn't come out of nowhere.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Moral financial decision

Cash them, and if you don't mind me asking what area were you in and what school. Just starting to look into Grad school and I need a full ride to be able to go, if you have any advice/suggestions it would be appriciated.