Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2006, 05:23 PM

Default $430 Mini Step 5 - AQ hit my A on the flop

This is mainly a BBV post, but I did start thinking after I finished smashing up the furniture in my room.

I am currently a $22 speed player, but whilst I was waiting for my new computer, I mixed it up a bit with a few other games. One of these were the mini-steps.

I bought in at two $22s step two and turned both of them into step 4's. In one, I won my way to the final step and the other I have dropped back down to level 3.

So, the payout for the final step is:

1st) $2000
2nd) $1000
3rd) $500
4th) $300
5th) $200

Blinds go up every 10 minutes. So as my BR is only about the same as 2nd place I was very keen on finishing ITM in this. I'd folded every hand for 3 orbits and just won a hand with 66 for about 300 chips (went to showdown). Then the following hand occured:

PartyPoker $430 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2375)
UTG+1 (t3140)
Hero (t2140)
MP2 (t2945)
MP3 (t690)
CO (t1960)
Button (t3265)
SB (t1960)
BB (t1525)

Preflop: Hero is in MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t200

Flop: (t650) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to t1225 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t825

Turn: (t3100) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t3100) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)

Results:

<font color="white">Hero shows Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for one pair, Aces.
Villian shows A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for two pair, Aces and Tens. </font>

My questions are:

1) How much did that hurt?
2) I'm optimistic I can reach the level 5 with my other buy-in that I am still on the ladder with. Due to the sizes of payouts in relation to my roll and general life wealth, I really REALLY want to make the money. So, taking that in mind, should I have played this hand this way?
3) Ignoring the fact I'm skint and tight, and wanted to max EV in this tourney, did I play the hand right?
Old 09-16-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Re: $430 Mini Step 5 - AQ hit my A on the flop

you got your money in with 84% chance to win the hand.
this is slighty better than AA vs KK......

you also had the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
i play the hand the exact same way.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:39 PM

Ouch .. That sucked [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Well ... at least we pwn the 22s ! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Good luck with your remaining ministep Skeg
Old 09-16-2006, 05:40 PM

Agreed. If you don't fold AA when someone shoves preflop then don't fold this.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you got your money in with 84% chance to win the hand.
this is slighty better than AA vs KK......

you also had the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
i play the hand the exact same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not a valid argument, it is results oriented. I also play the 22s, and would have played the hand the same way (might limp though), but this is not our usual sitiation, and just as Skeg, I really was unsure of what to do and therefore didn't answer his question as such.

If against a thinking player, then you are behind against the shove most likely. Without any reads, then it is hard to determine what to say ??

If it was a 22s and me facing Skeg, then chances are that AQ is shown AK, two pair or a set. But then we are both weaktight 22s players [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Edit: The I would play the same way part of the argument is good, but pointing out that he got his money in as a huge favorite is ... meh
Old 09-16-2006, 05:56 PM

No sane BB just calls here OOP. And I think you have to play this way.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Due to the sizes of payouts in relation to my roll and general life wealth, I really REALLY want to make the money. So, taking that in mind, should I have played this hand this way?

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, with 20BB, fold preflop. The 150 chips won't help you that much if you just take down the blinds, AQo isn't all that great a hand, and once you raise you are committing to get it in, if you hit the flop or one of the shorter stacks shoves preflop.

Haters, note the question I am answering above before you commence hating.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:05 PM

Turns out Party had a massive guilt trip for burning me deep inside so in my last ten $22s let me have 5x1st,3x2nds,1x3rd and 1x8th. Good old Party Poker. 327% ROI - yes please.

Back to my original post, I like pineapple's point, as I'm pretty sure with one +EV push with bigger blinds I could make the top 5. If I'm trying to avoid confrontation I don't want me be messing around with AQo.

However, I think I should stop being a poosy and play for the win if I get back up to step 5 again.

PS Thanks for the kind words of support - thats why I posted in here and not BBV where it probably belong...not one LOL DONKAMENTS!
Old 09-17-2006, 02:44 PM

This is bs! Not one LOL DONKAMENTS or BBV BITCH! What has happened to this forum!?!!?! You played the hand fine Graham, don't be a whiny little [censored] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]