Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2006, 12:33 PM

Default NL100: Bottom 2 pair vs I don\'t know.

<font color="green"> No read on SB, the villain in the hand. </font>

SB has $110
Hero has $100

UTG folded, MP raises to $2, CO calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($9 pot).
Checked to Hero who bets $6, SB calls, 2 folds.

Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($21 pot).
SB bets $10, Hero calls.

River is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($41 pot).
SB bets $25, Hero folds.

<font color="green"> I'm unsure about how I played the turn &amp; river. Does my opponent have a flush or nothing here?</font>
Old 09-16-2006, 12:46 PM

Default Re: NL100: Bottom 2 pair vs I don\'t know.

I'm assuming you had 32 hence the bottom two comment. Fold preflop with 32s or 32o. The button's cool and all but I don't even want to limp with this hand, so calling even a minraise is out for me. Blah blah, rest of hand...

Flop: I play it fast, make it a little more to $8-9. A Jack and single spade will call so charge them now, and if you get checkraised you can get away from the hand rather easily since at best you're looking at a coinflip.

Turn: SB's turn bet looks a lot like a block bet as opposed to value. I hate getting overaggro with bottom two on a drawy board like this, but I think this is an exception. The board is J237 which doesn't leave a lot of reasonable two pair hands to beat you. Perhaps he has the As or even a pair with a high spade to go with it trying to see the river cheaply. I raise to $40 planning on it being the last money I put in. If he bluff donks a non-spade river, then good for him.

River: Given the turn call I think you have to call this river as well. He could still think his J is good for all we know. None of the draws got there so unless you think he had you beat from the beginning with J3/J2 then you should really call getting a little shy of 2:1. You played the hand well for pot control and really underrepped your hand, so let him pay you off with it.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:48 PM

I fold 32s preflop - even to a minraise.
Bet full pot on the flop as the board is kinda wet.
Turn call looks good.
Call river too.
SB could very well have AJ.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:53 PM

Sorry, I did have 3h2h. I'm somewhat surprised that I can't play this on the button, but whatever I probably will keep doing it.

JrJordan:
I don't like the idea of raising the turn, since if he calls &amp; pushes any river whether it's a blank or not, I won't like whatever deccision I have to make given the pot odds. I called the turn, b/c I wanted to keep the pot small.

ticks:
When you say the flop is wet, what's that mean?
Old 09-16-2006, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lots of draws
Old 09-16-2006, 02:18 PM

PF is not something I would do blah blah blah, I assume you have your reasons.

As plyed I think you played the hand perfect untill the river. you absolutely have to call this. His 2 most likely hands are a J or a missed flush draw which he bet because he thought you was drawing.

definate call
Old 09-16-2006, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I did have 3h2h. I'm somewhat surprised that I can't play this on the button, but whatever I probably will keep doing it.

JrJordan:
I don't like the idea of raising the turn, since if he calls &amp; pushes any river whether it's a blank or not, I won't like whatever deccision I have to make given the pot odds. I called the turn, b/c I wanted to keep the pot small.

ticks:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll go with this argument. I too was debating whether keeping the pot small was worth just calling, but I still doubt he's donk pushing this river into you on a non-spade without a hand beating you. You've shown so much strength up to this point on a very drawy board that his bluffing frequency would be quite low. Still, he's an unknown so erring on the side of small pot caution is certainly a reasonable approach.

Given that, you really should call this river because you've completely underrepped your hand, no draws got there, and the higher 2 pair combos don't seem nearly as likely as either an induced bluff from As or a paired jack trying to get value.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:29 PM

Ya dont raise the turn, the stack sizes in relation to the current pot and the amount you would need to raise make raising more of a spew than anything.

I just started up playing the 100nl 6max again, and I think this river is a fold. Ive been break even the last 2 days, which im pretty sure is because I wasn't laying down hands like that.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could argue for playing any two cards given the right circumstances.
However you should be aware of the weak potential this hand has.
You can only make the lowest possible flush.
You can only make two straights using both cards.
You are sometimes dominated when making trips.
Two pair value is low as it will always be bottom two.
Obviously no top pair value (as T9/JT might have)
The only thing this hands has going for it is surprise.
(And even there it is bested by hands like T4)

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya dont raise the turn, the stack sizes in relation to the current pot and the amount you would need to raise make raising more of a spew than anything.

I just started up playing the 100nl 6max again, and I think this river is a fold. Ive been break even the last 2 days, which im pretty sure is because I wasn't laying down hands like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you putting villain on? Flopped flush? And is that range good enough relative to Jx or an induced bluff to warrant folding when we're getting shy of 2:1? Certainly not a horrible fold by any means but I still think calling is marginally better.