Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2006, 01:41 AM

Default Poking nose in door -- and a hand i think I blew

Hi all -- back briefly as I have a bit of a slow period at work going on. So I'm playing a little and posting a little.

Here's a hand from earlier today that I think I played badly.

Early in the FTP $75 mtt, I'm sitting on the CO with about 4k. Button is the chip leader with about 5k. 25/50 blinds, I raise to 175 with qjs. Button calls.

Flop is Q74r. I bet 250. Call.

Turn is a Queen. I bet 450. (Note: I think this was a mistake.) Villain minraises. I consider folding to his probable KQ or AQ, but something smells funny to me, so I call.

River is a 9. I check, and he bets the pot. I call.

Flame away. I'll explain my reasoning after I get some comments.

Edit: no real reads, other than that he's cold-called a couple of raises since I've been at the table, and taken down the pot with no showdown both times.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Poking nose in door -- and a hand i think I blew

honestly its a tough hand you can't fold the turn the river is close he prob doesn't put you on a queen but I guess it's the right call for the times you see an oddly played AA,KK or Q10.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:45 AM

Frankly, I think folding the turn for you is definitley an option...you don't really wanna be in there without the best hand- 4k is a very handsome stack at that early stage and losing just 875 chips is much better than losing another 2725 on the river. I guess we just need to put him on a range of hands here- i think it's safe to put him on 22+ --as shaun noted...a slowplayed AA or KK where he's lookin to bust your 4k stack is not unreasonable(queens, of coure=unreasonable). Additionally, as you noted, let's include AQ, KQ, Q10-Q8 for arguments sake, honestly, i don't think he's just outright playing at your here but for arguments sake we'll plug a few random hands in. Additionally, let's include AJ-A4 (let's just assume A8 downwards are suited..that won't affect the hand though.)

So here's the range I'll plug into the stove:
Ok so i was gonna run that in the stove and do the math on your equity...but honestly i've never used the stove, just dld it the other day...I can't figure it out for the life of me lol. what a miserable thing to happen. Honestly though, It's just such a hard fold to make and you just walked right into the min raise...When he makes that play though...you just have to be thinking "did i run into 4s full? 7s full??...QK?" I'd just get off it...do you know how to work the stove lol?
Old 09-16-2006, 03:57 AM

Alternate line:

You're playing a $75. You know what has you crushed by turn and what doesn't, so disregard the thousand-word advice but not shaun's. The minbet's s screamer. Or he thinks you're FOS. So outdonk him on river.

Underweight it, toss out 700-750 on river. He minraises, you're in for 1.4-1.5k, cheaper than checkcalling a PSB.

He shoves, you can walk.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'll now explain why I played it the way I did. My buddy Adanthar always says that the early chip leader is almost always a complete donkey. Usually a manaic who gets lucky a couple of times. Having seen him cold call a couple of times, I thought that it was at least possible he was one of these characters, which made me feel like my equity was just enough to call.

Before I reveal the result, I'll just say that I think my initial temptation to fold and protect my stack on the turn might well have been correct. I also like the blocking bet idea. But the way I played it, it's a call/fold decision. No way I can shove over his psb, as he's not calling with anything I beat. For the above reason, I called.

He turns over 96o, no pair.

In fairness to Adanthar, he thinks my play was awful. I'm not sure I disagree [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But an interesting hand in any event.