Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2006, 03:47 PM

Default nut flush, paired board, big pot.

Live 2-5NL. MP is a loose, somewhat aggressive player who has been running hot after sucking out on a short stack. He has $1,300. I had never seen him bet so big (pot sized) into the pre-flop raiser on the flop.

Cutoff ($1,100) is a wealthy maniac. He is passive pre-flop but at any sign of weakness post-flop has made huge overbets, often with nothing. He has been caught 5-6 times, stacked a guy with flush over flush once, sucked out big time once.

A few limp, including MP, the next guy raises to $20. 6 of us call, including cutoff and me in BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Checked to MP who bets out $150, raiser folds, cutoff quickly calls and I call (?). Everyone else folds.

Turn is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check, MP hesitates and checks, cutoff doesn't hesitate to bet $700. I tank for a long time. I look over at MP and he has shown his cards to the guys next to him and has propped them up against his chips while leaning back and chatting away with his neighbors and eating a sandwich. I...
Old 01-26-2006, 04:04 PM

Default Re: nut flush, paired board, big pot.

[ QUOTE ]
at any sign of weakness post-flop has made huge overbets, often with nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this answers your own question. Unless him showing his cards, propping them up, and chompin on a sandwich is some type of crazy great read you've picked up, stick it in there. If he picked up a boat here, oh well, time to rebuy.

FLOP call is fine, what's your stack?
Old 01-26-2006, 04:06 PM

OP - I assume you cover, or have a similar stack size to MP and CO.

Preflop and flop are fine IMO (you're getting almost 3:1 to call on the flop, and both players in the pot are LAG, implied odds here). I don't know what your FE is against these guys, but I prefer a flop call with odds OOP to a raise in this spot.

Turn I call. MP was probably betting top pair on the flop, I don't see him taking this line with a set (especially as he has been running hot, and people who are running hot do not fastplay sets from what I've seen). Anyway. once he shows his cards to his neighbor, you know he's gone.

Based on your description of CO, who will "overbet the pot post-flop with any sign of weakness", I think you have a clear line here.

-Al
Old 01-26-2006, 05:48 PM

You... push AI.

MP is folding AK (ect.) and showing it to people to show how disgusted he is now that the flush is there. Or he has a monster, but that is unlikely given the way he is acting. In all the hours I have spent on the felt I have never seen anyone expose a monster like that, only what they feel is a great starting hand, or a hand that could hit a monster, then they fold it.

CO has too much invested to fold his nut flush draw to your push. A call shows that you are strong and will likely result in him folding on the river unless it is a fourth spade. The push instults his dick size and he will be forced to prove you wrong.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the comments. I do cover, by a little bit.
I was not worried about cutoff but about MP mostly. If I had turned a boat with K5 or 45 I would have checked as well.

I called, Mp folded, and I set cutoff all-in blind on the river, which was a 3. My hand held up against 65.