Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 08:22 PM

Default My friend is an raging alcoholic

I missed all the signs. I feel like [censored]. A former close friend started to kinda fade out around a year ago. Had been on anti- depression meds. He complained about not being able to sleep (i'm a borderline insomniac so I just laughed) I had my own life and work and stuff going on. 90% of my calls werent picked up or returned so I didnt call that much anymore.

He would ask for help with basic life crap like edging his yard... I bought a former crack house with no grass in the yard and have been working my ass off and was not going to go help him (meant he watched me do it) with his nice awesome house that he bought looking great.

He always drank parrot bay rum. I used to make fun of him for drinking a girly liquor but he always loved that crap. Always had a bottle around. But when I hung out it was the weekend and we were doing stuff that usually involved drinking. Now I know why he drank that crap.

Because you cant smell it on your breath...

I last hung out with him 2 weeks ago. We were grilling out. He called and said he was at the store and said he would be right over...I realized after I hung up that I was almost out of beer and called back to get him to pick some up. No answer so I go to the store to buy beer and see his car and walk over and through the tint I see him hide something behind the seat. I know he drinks to much but he is only 2 years out of college and I went through a similar time after i finished.

I told his brother what I saw when I got back. He drove over and sat in the driveway for 20 mins before coming in and only drank 1 beer all night. However he kept going out to the car to "talk on the phone".

He had gotten fat in a short period of time. When he lay down on a couch he had a huge gut. I used to jog with him when he was 160ish and now looked to be 220ish. I said nothing because I didnt see him much and knew he was depressed and wanted to hang out and have fun and cheer him up.

Found out Monday he called his brother and told him he couldnt walk. His legs didnt work. He was in pain if touched. His feet and hands were blue. They had to call paramedics to get him to the hospital.

They thought he had diabetes...Then they realized that he basically was a raging alcoholic who had been mixing uppers and downers and zoloft with tons of parrot bay cocoanut rum. 25 bottles of that crap was in his room along with tylenol PM, nyquil, ephredrine... He hadnt eaten in 2 days and had no potassium in his system. His organs were all [censored] up and they think he caused himself brain damage from mixing all this crap over long periods of time. I thought the personality changes i saw were because of the zoloft...brain damage from massive alcohol and drug use could have caused them. He has pneumonia and maybe cirrosis of the liver (cant tell til the swelling goes down).

How the [censored] did we all miss this?

He is in ICU in a 4 point restraint. Tubes in every hole and was on a ventilator.

He died on the table and had to be paddled when he went through the DTs.

I dont know this guy in the hospital.

My good friend who I've known since he was 12 would never do this to himself. He's too smart. Not this weak focking loser who I would never be friends with.

He has no insurance. Has not payed any bills in 2-3 months. His parents are on his mortgage. He has totally [censored] his family over because of this.

He hid it from us all. He has not hit rock bottom.

I haven't told anyone but my parents about this. I dont know if I should tell his/my friends. I am in a FF league with him and alot of his friends from college.

I think they should know but dont want to be the one to tell them.

I want to visit with him but dont know what to say. I focking look down on weak people who do this to themselves and blame everyone else.

He is 26 years old.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:27 PM

Default Re: My friend is an raging alcoholic

Old 09-15-2006, 08:28 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] . That's crazy. I'm not sure why you're telling BBV, but I wish you and your friend all the best.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:29 PM

I take it back and second this:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-15-2006, 08:45 PM

If you look down on weak people, why don't you just kill him and solve both of your problems. It seems like he doesn't want to be alive much anyways...

Seriously, if you were his friend you would be there for him. Being depressed and suicidal is not being weak. You are being weak for not being there for him. Depression is a disease, and like most diseases it is hard to overcome.

I am not a doctor, but you are not being a good friend.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-15-2006, 08:52 PM

Kill him, then bury him in a Pet Cemetary atop an old indian burial ground. In a couple of days he'll come back as good as new.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kill him, then bury him in a Pet Cemetary atop an old indian burial ground. In a couple of days he'll come back as good as new.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to reply with "lol Pet Semataryaments" but I didn't want to ruin the joke with an "aments". Now that someone else posted about the movie I feel like I missed out by not saying LOL PET SEMATARYAMENTS first.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:56 PM

Old 09-15-2006, 09:16 PM

I posted because it is a life bad beat. Obviously alot of bad decisions he made.

Sorry but dont get the cat pic reference. How about plain english?