Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 02:03 PM

Default Best cheap dual core PC

What do folks like for pre-built dual core PCs? I used to build my own, but prebuilt is so cheap now that I don't mind sacrificing a little configurability (e.g. last box I bought was a 3.2GHz celeron eMachines for $200 after rebate, makes a great Linux server for the house). I'd like to upgrade my desktop workstation soon and am thinking that the dual core CPU will help a lot when I multi table and have PT and PAHUD running, along with a media player, etc. My budget (if realistic) is on the cheap side ($400-$700). Suggestions?
Old 09-15-2006, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Best cheap dual core PC

There's a local company here that's been running impressive radio ads ever since I moved back in Feb. Sounds like they're trying to outperform Dell's reputation back at their peak. This special is $739 w/ a $40 mail in rebate on the monitor (for a $699 system) and I thought it was a fair price for the hardware. A 15" LCD isn't too big tho, and you may already have a/some monitors you're happy with. http://visioncomputers.com/customkit...%2Dnow&eq=

I'm not affiliated with them nor do I have any firsthand experience other than an email I sent them with a question (the special I clicked on at their home page didn't go to the special...they replied in 3 minutes "I apologize for the mix up. The website has been going through some major changes." and went on to tell me where the special was.

Could be a line of bs, but they did point me in the right direction and were immediate in their response.

They have an 800#, and I'm sure would be willing to ship. I'd say call them, tell them what you're wanting, get a quote, then shop around some more elsewhere and go from there.

These guys do seem impressive in service and claim an "average hold time of under 15 seconds" for support...and you're not calling India. I'd suggest considering them. I haven't priced much new hardware recently tho, so there very well may be better deals elsewhere.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:07 AM

I wouldn't want one of the older intel line, I would look out for a x2 (4200+) if your on a budget, and otherwise I would seriously consider adding a bit more and getting a 2ghz+ core 2 duo. I allready have a x2 4800, but if I could do it again, I would go for one of those core 2 duo procs, yes they are that fast!
Old 09-16-2006, 11:31 PM

You don't need a great processor to run poker, PAHUD, and pokertracker. What you need is memory.