Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 06:53 AM

Default Pope goes Islam

There's a time and a place for everything but I cannot imagine the wily Vatican not being a master of diplomacy. So, I cannot understand the purpose of the Pope's public pontification:

[ QUOTE ]
CNN
MUSLIM FURY AT POPE COMMENTS
<font color="white"> . </font>

In his speech, [Pope] Benedict quoted 14th-century Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus who said, "Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."
Before quoting Paleologus during his address at the University of Regensburg on Tuesday, the pontiff noted the "brusqueness," or discourteous nature of the emperor's statement.
<font color="white">. </font>
"God," the emperor, as the pope quoted, said, "is not pleased by blood -- and not acting reasonably is contrary to God's nature."

[/ QUOTE ]That was the last emperor of the Byzantines speaking, a little before Constantinople fell at the hand of sultan Mohammed The Conqueror, and renamed Istanbul. But is this the time to be quoting Paleologus?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Pope goes Islam

I suspect this new pope is going to cause a lot of problems

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10007382/

I miss Pope John Paul II already.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a time and a place for everything but I cannot imagine the wily Vatican not being a master of diplomacy. So, I cannot understand the purpose of the Pope's public pontification:

[ QUOTE ]
CNN
MUSLIM FURY AT POPE COMMENTS

In his speech, [Pope] Benedict quoted 14th-century Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus who said, "Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."
Before quoting Paleologus during his address at the University of Regensburg on Tuesday, the pontiff noted the "brusqueness," or discourteous nature of the emperor's statement.
<font color="white">. </font>
"God," the emperor, as the pope quoted, said, "is not pleased by blood -- and not acting reasonably is contrary to God's nature."

[/ QUOTE ]That was the last emperor of the Byzantines speaking, a little before Constantinople fell at the hand of sultan Mohammed The Conqueror, and renamed Istanbul. But is this the time to be quoting Paleologus?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't start a religous war and bring about the end of times if you stoke the fires of religious intolerance.

This is the kind of stuff that reinforces to atheists like me that religion is a plague.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:08 PM

"Islam is Christianity taken seriously"
Old 09-15-2006, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the kind of stuff that reinforces to atheists like me that religion is a plague.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this statement ironic, since the Pope was attacking a religion. I would think that an atheist would applaud anybody for attacking a religion. So why does that bother you so much, since you do the same thing?
Old 09-15-2006, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this statement ironic, since the Pope was attacking a religion. I would think that an atheist would applaud anybody for attacking a religion. So why does that bother you so much, since you do the same thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a leader of one worldwide religious cult attacking another one on the world's stage. I'm not inflaming the Bible thumpers and Koran Thumpers into a frenzy leading to increased hatred and likely bloodshed.

If you think me posting on a poker forum that my thoughts about religion is the same as the leader of one of the largest religions in the world publicly criticizing another large religion.... I don't what to tell you.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you think me posting on a poker forum that my thoughts about religion is the same as the leader of one of the largest religions in the world publicly criticizing another large religion.... I don't what to tell you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Kurto, I didn't say that your post here has the same weight as the Pope's. I just think you are being inconsistent for attacking someone for attacking a religion.

I always am amused at people who hate religion, yet get upset if somebody says something negative about Islam.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That was the last emperor of the Byzantines speaking, a little before Constantinople fell at the hand of sultan Mohammed The Conqueror, and renamed Istanbul.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last emperor of the Byzantines was Constantine XI (maybe XII). And Constantinople didn't fall until 1453.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always am amused at people who hate religion, yet get upset if somebody says something negative about Islam.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you insult them, they will get angry and kill us. We need more appeasers, our very lives are at stake.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No Kurto, I didn't say that your post here has the same weight as the Pope's. I just think you are being inconsistent for attacking someone for attacking a religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the key difference is the Pope is doing exactly what I why I think religion is a disease. Promoting their religions and put down others in such ways that have led, in the past, to wars.

If all the religious people kept to themselves and privately worshipped their own Gods, I'd have no problem with it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I criticize almost all religions the same. I think the radical followers of Islam waging war around the world are a cancerous part of the disease.

I'm not attacking "A Religion"... I'm attacking all of it. The Pope is one member stoking the fuels of religious violence.