Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 4 v. 13
J. Alba 66 51.97%
H. Berry 61 48.03%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2006, 04:00 PM

Default Yo atheists ...

There seem to be a large number of 2p2 atheists going by many of the post here.
So as an exercise in logic and futility I have taken it upon myself to debate your heathen soul [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I am going to see how well I can justify my belief in God.
Let’s see how silly you can make me look

Some rules
My main assertion is that God exists.

That’s it. Notice I didn’t say that he cares, that he likes Christians, Muslims or anyone else any better than anyone else. I didn’t say that this life isn’t all a joke or something that we are not capable of understanding. I didn’t say that he/she has a plan etc.. let’s keep it simple.

First installment to follow …
Old 09-13-2006, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Yo atheists ...

OK for my first argument I give you …

Yes, I am serious.
Random evolution my ass, There is no way that a bunch of space dust, rock, and heat randomly produced that! (and from just that simple argument God is a man if you ask me)

Is it possible in an infinite universe?
Let me put it this way, say I took an infinite walk down and infinite beach, and came across a massive and complex sand castle. Sure, its possible that some conflux of wind waves or sea creatures just happened to form it. Its just more likely that something else had a hand in it.

Sure there is evolution, sure there is survival of the fittest, but why does every other part of nature seek the simplest form while life has grown increasingly complex?

Take a look at how complex the most basic of life is. Its an absolute miracle that single cell animals exist, let alone to have a couple of amoeba turn into Angelina, no matter how long it takes.

Survival of the fittest doesn’t account for so much.
Why would anyone ever be good/moral to anyone they didn’t know? It doesn’t increase your chance of reproducing, in fact it decreases it. Why would it even occur to anyone that it might be wrong to smack the guy around the corner and take all his stuff? If you do, you are increasing your resources and your chances to survive long enough to pop out a few kids. Remember society doesn’t reproduce, people do, if it is not a benefit to an individual, the trait shouldn’t passed on genetically since it doesn’t make them any more likely to survive that the next guy who doesn’t have the trait.

Well that’s good enough for a start.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to see how well I can justify my belief in God.
Let’s see how silly you can make me look

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Some rules
My main pretext is that God exists.

That’s it.

[/ QUOTE ]
pretext
Main Entry: pre·text
Pronunciation: 'prE-"tekst
: a purpose or motive alleged or an appearance assumed in order to cloak the real intention or state of affairs
Old 09-13-2006, 04:21 PM

How many Gods exist and why?
Old 09-13-2006, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Main Entry: pre·text
Pronunciation: 'prE-"tekst
: a purpose or motive alleged or an appearance assumed in order to cloak the real intention or state of affairs

[/ QUOTE ]

Main Entry: smart ass
Variant(s): also chezlaw /'chez-"law, -la '-/
Function: noun

: an obnoxiously conceited and self-assertive person with pretensions to smartness or cleverness

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2006, 04:27 PM

My main pretext is that God does not exist.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many Gods exist and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Off topic .. besides I don't know.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:29 PM

<font color="blue"> Random evolution my ass, There is no way that a bunch of space dust, rock, and heat randomly produced that! (and from just that simple argument God is a man if you ask me)
</font>

Random mutation is only a small part of evolution. Most of evolution is anything but random. In fact, it is extremely purposeful.

<font color="blue"> . Why would it even occur to anyone that it might be wrong to smack the guy around the corner and take all his stuff? If you do, you are increasing your resources and your chances to survive long enough to pop out a few kids. </font>

Have you thought this through? If you did, you'd find learning how to cooperate has been a big help in human survival.

<font color="blue"> if it is not a benefit to an individual, the trait shouldn’t passed on genetically since it doesn’t make them any more likely to survive that the next guy who doesn’t have the trait.
</font>

You've just made more of a case for how cooperation may have been passed down, than any case for God.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Random mutation is only a small part of evolution. Most of evolution is anything but random. In fact, it is extremely purposeful.

[/ QUOTE ]

no its not, mutation is random (or close enough for this discussion) it is just that it is only the benificial mutations (purposefull in your words) that are passed on to offspring.

As for the cooperation .. I didn't state it very clear, Ill think of a way to say it better.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My main pretext is that God does not exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

He does, just not in boca.

(btw im also a software dork working in boca)