Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 04:00 PM

Default School shooting in montreal

Its on all the stations here, and also live on CNN. It happened at dawson college, which is the biggest english cejep in montreal. Most students are 17-19 years old. Almost all of my friends went there and graduated about a year and a half ago, but alot still have siblings there.

My father is a psychiatrist at the main hospital here, and he said 4 critically injured atm, 2 prob. wont make it, and 11 others injured. That hasnt been announced yet but its the story.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Re: School shooting in montreal

I'm watching this on TV right now.. WTF
Old 09-13-2006, 04:08 PM

Old 09-13-2006, 04:09 PM

friend of mine is watching this go on right outside her window right now
Old 09-13-2006, 04:10 PM

I always wonder how nobody ever tackles these gunmen. WTF this sucks as usual

Can't believe it happened at Dawson...

From CNN...

[ QUOTE ]
MONTREAL, Quebec (AP) -- At least one gunman opened fire Wednesday in the cafeteria of a Montreal college and wounded an unknown number of people before shooting himself, witnesses and police said.

Scores of students at Dawson College near downtown fled into the surrounding streets after the shooting broke out in the school of about 10,000. Some of them had bloody clothes.

CBC-TV showed police with guns drawn standing behind a police cruiser.

Martine Millette of the Montreal police said authorities did not know how many people had been shot. There also was uncertainty if there was more than one gunman.

Millette said the man later shot himself. Constable Philippe Gouin said, "In all probability, the suspect has committed suicide."

'The guy was shooting at people randomly'
Student Devansh Smri Vastava said he saw a man in military fatigues with "a big rifle" storm the school's cafeteria.

"He just started shooting at people," Vastava said, adding that he heard about 20 shots fired. He also said teachers ran through the halls telling students to get out.

Other witnesses spoke of a gunman wearing a black trench coat.

"We all ran upstairs. There were cops firing. It was so crazy," Vastava said. "I was terrified. The guy was shooting at people randomly. He didn't care; he was just shooting at everybody. I just got out."

Derick Osei, 19, said he walking down the stairs when he saw a man with a gun.

"He ... just started shooting up the place. I ran up to the third floor and I looked down and he was still shooting," Osei said. "He was hiding behind the vending machines, and he came out with a gun and started pointing and pointed at me. So I ran up the stairs. I saw a girl get shot in the leg."

Osei said people in the cafeteria were all lying on the floor.

Another student who gave her name as Chloe tearfully recounted seeing the gunman pointing a weapon at people.

"All of a sudden I turned around and saw a man who was all dressed in black," she told radio station 940 News.

"This dude with the clothes started pointing the gun at other people. He was right behind me. He turned around and went in the corner of the cafeteria," she said.

Another student told 940 News that she had seen two people who had been shot, including one who was hit in the neck. The student said a friend told her four people had been shot.

'89 shooting spurred tighter gun laws
Ingrid Keigan, a 17-year-old student, said she saw one person outside who had been shot in the chest.

A SWAT team and canine units were at the college, going floor by floor to look for victims, Sgt. Giuseppe Boccardi told CNN.

"Most of the students have exited the college grounds," he said.

People have also been evacuated from the nearby Alexis-Nihon shopping center.

Canada's worst mass shooting also happened in Montreal. Gunman Marc Lepin killed 14 women at the Ecole Polytechnic on December 6, 1989.

That shooting spurred efforts for tighter gun laws and greater awareness of societal violence -- particularly domestic abuse. Canada's tighter gun law was achieved mainly as the results of efforts by survivors and relatives of the victims.

Another shooting in Montreal occurred in 1992, when a Concordia University professor killed four colleagues.

Dawson College was the first English-language institution in Quebec's network of university preparatory colleges when it was founded in 1969.

It is the largest college of general and vocational education, known by its French acronym CEGEP, in the province.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-13-2006, 04:12 PM

I think the natural instinct is to just run dude. These are 17 yo, not cops. man CNN coverage sucks. Cant imagine this would happen in montreal, but I guess its pretty similar to the 1989 university shootings where a guy killed 19 women.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably has something to do with not wanting to get shot, and running for their lives.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably has something to do with not wanting to get shot, and running for their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but, I mean, they must go around corners or turn their backs sometimes, right? FWIW I'd likely be running as fast as I could too, won't see me gettin kilt, no sir.

NT