Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 02:11 PM

Default How do you play these?

Villain is an aggressive and probably winning player. 28/23/2.2-5

Didn't feel good about my play here. "Knew" that my turn bet was going to get raised 100% of the time but my finger couldn't resist that Bet button. Fearing the overhelming likeliness of Aces up or better, I quickly folded.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
Old 09-13-2006, 02:32 PM

Default Re: How do you play these?

I would fold preflop. Given the way you played it you are now getting 8.25 to 1 on a call......I would still likley be folding this as I think that the majority of your outs will be of very little value.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:36 PM

How did you know 100%, if thats truly the case, why bet?

I bluff these spots in villians shoes sometimes, from your play its most likely you dont have an ace, so its a good spot and board to take a shot at someone if you know they are capable of folding. Doesnt mean you should call down or anything tho, as hes got tons of other hands that just as easily have you beat, just throwing that out there.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:59 PM

i'd fold preflop

i wouldnt 3-bet the flop, and i wouldn't fold the turn if i had. hand's too good and you're too unlikely to have an ace. you'll see diamonds try this again, along with other pairs that think maybe you can fold a better pair. why is it so likely that he had to hit the ace?
Old 09-13-2006, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

these threads annoy me. How is everyone 30/20 + if they arent raising Q9o from the CO?

When I cared about trying to up my VPIP/PFR to the "golden ratio" Id follow all the advice in threads and still end up lower than those numbers. Everyone is like "fold PF" and then they show their stats and they are 33/23 and stuff.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd fold preflop

i wouldnt 3-bet the flop, and i wouldn't fold the turn if i had. hand's too good and you're too unlikely to have an ace. you'll see diamonds try this again, along with other pairs that think maybe you can fold a better pair. why is it so likely that he had to hit the ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it is "so" likely for him to hit that ace. I just feel that he likely enough has me badly enough beat combined with having enough outs on me, to make a call unprofitable [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I really want to hear how bad I butchered this hand, because I feel disgusted about my play. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyways is bet/call turn better than check turn and call pretty much all rivers?
Old 09-13-2006, 04:12 PM

when I saw your fold, I yelled out NO!
Old 09-13-2006, 05:04 PM

I'd fold preflop.
Given your line I fold the turn
Old 09-13-2006, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'd fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

these threads annoy me. How is everyone 30/20 + if they arent raising Q9o from the CO?

[/ QUOTE ]

While I don't think preflop is the most interesting street in this hand and I think it is probably only a small mistake, I think this should usually be a fold preflop. Ideal table conditions could easily push it to a raise, but I don't see any problem with the fold preflop advice. It's generally good advice.

While there are some very good 30/20+ players, many (most?) 30/20+ players aren't that good even though they think they are.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:43 PM

Preflop is a clear fold.

About Postflop: I dont like any line that leads to a fold against this guy so I am disapointed that you didnt make it to the showdown. At the same time you were put in a very tough situation. If you really felt that this guy was going to checkraise the turn more than optimally then it sounds to me you should still show down here even after this action. One thing I will tell you, I like checking the turn and calling the river better than bet/folding and I think I like bet/calling better than bet/folding. So now it comes down to whether I like bet/calling more than checking the turn and calling the river. Which line to take is debatable but the philosophy is the same, I want to showdown against this guy when I have this strong of a hand.