Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 01:23 PM

Default two math holdem books

I've been looking for a good limit holdem math book, down too these, weighing the odds in limit holdem by King Yao, and odds and probilities by Matthew Hilger.

Why when it comes to these two math books, I read King Yao's book is the book to have, and never a recommendation to Hilgers odds book?
Old 09-13-2006, 04:12 PM

Default Re: two math holdem books

Weighing the Odds isn't really a math book, although of course it has some math in it since it's a poker book.

I've just glanced through Hilger's second book briefly in the book store. It seems to cover hand odds less thoroughly than Mike Petriv's book (which I also just glanced through in the book store), but touches on other topics as well such as bankroll management that I don't think Petriv touches on.

Also, the Ankenman/Chen book, The Mathematics of Poker, is supposed to be out in a few weeks. I would expect much of the book to cover game theory, which the other books don't touch on; but it may also cover the same stuff as the Hilger and Petriv books in addition. I'm not sure.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:01 AM

ankenman,Chen 2 very good players. Chen won 2 bracelets in this years WSOP. One was limit and the other no limit shorthanded.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:30 AM

Just to clarify in response to Maurile's post, my book Texas Hold'em Odds and Probabilities does not discuss bankroll management. Maybe Maurile is refering to my first book Internet Texas Hold'em which does have a chapter on bankroll management.

In terms of comparisons, my book is quite different than Petriv's book in that the main focus of that book is how to calculate odds, while the main focus of my book is how you apply odds to make better decisions (I discuss the how but that is not the main focus). I have only glanced through Weighing the Odds so I can't comment much, but that book does focus purely on limit (and the reviews have been very good). My Odds and Probabilities book covers both limit and no-limit situations and is geared towards beginning to intermediate players who need help understanding how math is used at the poker table in making decisions.

Best regards, Matthew
Old 09-16-2006, 06:32 AM

I strongly suspect that the defining book on the subject will be The Mathematics of Poker by William Chen and Jerrod Ankenman. Due to ship Sept 30 according to Amazon. I have mine on pre-0rder with Conjelco, so I don't know when to expect it. About the same time I guess.

Chen is a wiz on game theory. This is supposed to be the hot setup for poker math. I have both of the others you mentioned, and they are ok, but I was not terribly impressed with either one.

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2006, 02:10 PM

And Ankenman got a second.

D