Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 11:43 AM

Default alot more nonsense talking in WSOP this year

A lot more people are trying to talk people in and out of hands(i.e. Gold, Nobles) Is this nonsense behavior going to continue? I noticed the only people doing this were middle stacks who didn't want to gamble and chip leaders. Do people really think that telling people "Fold it, you don't want to play this hand, wait you raise me ill fold it, but ill show you, but you don't want to play this hand, is this going to be it, is this how you want to go out, I will show you if you fold!!!"
Old 09-13-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: alot more nonsense talking in WSOP this year

The fact of the matter is that ESPN constantly shows stupid table talk like this, which encourages people to do it so that they'll get on TV. So, yes, it's going to continue until they stop showing such asinine behavior/people stop giving more ratings when this stuff happens.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:57 AM

I don't understand why the hell any of these people talk. Just seems like they're spilling information left and right.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:14 PM

I think by the end of the tournament it was clear that if Gold was talking a lot during a hand and trying to discourage people from calling, he was usually bluffing. I remember seeing one hand at the final table where AC made an absolutely sick call with Ace high and won a huge pot that had to be the result of picking up that tell.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember seeing one hand at the final table where AC made an absolutely sick call with Ace high and won a huge pot that had to be the result of picking up that tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasnt even a-k high or even a-q high, it was a-9 high, that hand was sick. Gordan said that if Ac wins, that hand was going to be one of the big hands that people remember
Old 09-13-2006, 01:03 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

I say the more the better.

I do find it annoying, but any engaged observer will be able pick considerable information given enough time
Old 09-13-2006, 01:54 PM

It will help that talkers have been the focus of ESPN's coverage this year. And were not just talking about Gold/Nobles. Almost all the featured table pros were big talkers -- Helmuth, Matasow, Negraneau, Hachem, Benes.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think by the end of the tournament it was clear that if Gold was talking a lot during a hand and trying to discourage people from calling, he was usually bluffing. I remember seeing one hand at the final table where AC made an absolutely sick call with Ace high and won a huge pot that had to be the result of picking up that tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and don't forget how he won the final hand. Was he setting that up? Hmmmmmmm???? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2006, 01:56 AM

Gold's talk seemed to work to his advantage quite a bit. As did Molina's, like him or not. Kevin McBride said he was about to fold before Scotty's famous "you call and it's all over, baby" line.

Coffee housing is a skill that some players have and others don't (Daniel N. is awful at it, for instance). There's no reason for someone who's good at it not to use it.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:14 AM

What's the problem? Sometimes it's good TV, and if it encourages people to blab all day about their hands, that's fine with me.