Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2006, 10:09 AM

Default First Hand Post (Probably played poorly)

This is my first hand post. Probably played this horribly post-flop...

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

Needless to say, Villain turns over Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the flopped flush.

After the flop, I three-bet, because I didn't know if I could give the raiser credit for the flush. I was thinking that he could have a pair with another [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in his hand. After he caps the action, I pretty much knew what I was dealing with, but felt that I should call down anyway, b/c of the size of the pot.

I think that I made the right move in 3-betting the flop, but should I have called the button's raise. If so, was I correct to check and call the Turn and River?

I'm an idiot so help me out!

JB
Old 01-26-2006, 10:15 AM

Default Re: First Hand Post (Probably played poorly)

I don't think this is bad at all, as long as you were planning to fold if another spade fell.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:19 AM

Perfect. Against some i may bet the turn even after the flop cap but this is how i would normally play it. The paired two on the turn really doesn't change things much.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:21 AM

*grunch*

PF looks fine. I would lead out on flop as well, and 3-bet. When he comes over the top and caps the betting I would probably give up and fold, but calling it down is probably not too much of a mistake given the pot size. If he doesn't have the flush, he could have KK, flopping trips.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this is bad at all, as long as you were planning to fold if another spade fell.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-26-2006, 12:00 PM

Don't be so easy on yourself. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

You played it fine. Don't be results oriented.
(Easier said than done when you are a beginner.)
Old 01-26-2006, 12:32 PM

Just to chime in, this is fine. An alternate line is to smooth-call Villan's flop raise and check-raise him on the turn. This is especially effective with an aggressive opponent who might think you're continuation-betting on the flop.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:43 PM

I'm not in the camp advocating a turn check. I'm probably betting this turn, and if I don't bet I'm checkraising.

There is a pretty big range of hands that villain could be taking to us on the flop, and a small range of hands that beat us.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to chime in, this is fine. An alternate line is to smooth-call Villan's flop raise and check-raise him on the turn. This is especially effective with an aggressive opponent who might think you're continuation-betting on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do this a lot more than I do now. I noticed that many people seemed to have just discovered the free card play. If the villian checks behind, we are losing 1.5BB which you will hardly ever be able to make up because the villian will typically fold if they missed a draw or raise if it hit in which you are likely beat. Because of this, I tend to 3-bet the flop and lead the turn. This loses me 1SB sometimes when the c/r would have worked, but does not cost me 1.5BB those times it gets checked through. The c/r here is a bit read dependant as you need to know that your villian is aggro enough to do this, and does not routinely do this on a draw for a possible free card.

The one thing I have noticed more and more recently about the villians who make a free card play is that they typically will not do it with a semi-showdownable hand. So if they flopped a decent draw and the turn gives them something like 2nd or 3rd pair, they like to continue the betting even when they should really take the free card. These are the villians, along with the LAGs who will ALWAYS raise if they flop top pair (kicker irrelavant), to which the turn c/r is most effective.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not in the camp advocating a turn check. I'm probably betting this turn, and if I don't bet I'm checkraising.

There is a pretty big range of hands that villain could be taking to us on the flop, and a small range of hands that beat us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to give even a .10/.20 nano-donk credit for a hand when he caps this flop HU with a PFR. There's always the chance that he's going nuts with KxX[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], but I think that's pretty rare. At this limit, this action looks an awful lot like at least 2 pair. (If you're going to give Villan credit for being loose enough to play this aggressively on the flop with something we beat, you have to also give him credit for playing something against a preflop raise that would make 2 pair/set/flush.)

And, even if you're not willing to give him that credit at this limit, for the sake of your future career you should start, because at .5/1 and above, raising his turn bet would be spew. IMO. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]