Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 01:09 AM

Default Tricky KJo.

Terrible loose/passive fish limps UTG.
Somewhat aggro (35/23) limps in the CO.
SB completes, and Hero checks K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB.

Flop is 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, CO bets, SB folds.

Action is on Hero. What's the plan for the hand?
Old 09-13-2006, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Tricky KJo.

[ QUOTE ]
SB completes, and Hero checks K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB.

Flop is 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably have the best hand right now but you are vulnerable. Will the fish fold to a raise or is he a showdown monkey? Do you have a read on how CO plays draws? If he is one to bet an OESD for value here?

If the fish will fold to pressure then I like a check/raise. If he is a showdown monkey then I think that the best play is to simply check and call the whole way unless an Ace falls or you hit your straight.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:36 AM

I would check/raise the flop. Theres a decent chance you have the best hand and you have some outs to escape against many Qx type hands. If the 35/23 has Tx,Jx,9x, hes betting this flop, and he might even bet with a few other hands like Kx. It is also hard for this guy to have a hand like Qx since he would probably raise QTo or better preflop.

If you check/raise the flop and successfully get HU with the initiative, you dont necessarily have to lead the turn. Keep in mind that against certain opponents theres nothing wrong with check/calling down at this point. Most of the time I will be leading the turn but not always. It may seem weird to check/raise the flop and then change it up on the turn and check/call down, but every line has its place. Its up to you to decide which line is best based on as many pertinent variables as possible.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably have the best hand right now but you are vulnerable. Will the fish fold to a raise or is he a showdown monkey? Do you have a read on how CO plays draws? If he is one to bet an OESD for value here?

If the fish will fold to pressure then I like a check/raise. If he is a showdown monkey then I think that the best play is to simply check and call the whole way unless an Ace falls or you hit your straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the hero is likely to have the best hand, and the fish will cold-call with many worse hands, I would still raise here.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:56 AM

I like the idea of c/raising the flop to protect our hand and reevaluating on the turn. Against an aggro opponent we are often better off going into c/c mode again on the turn on this board.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:43 AM

As is, I just called, planning to see what happened on the turn (not necessarily saying I think this was the best play, but it's what I did):

Hero calls. UTG folds.

Turn 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks. CO checks behind.

River A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Hero does what?
Old 09-13-2006, 06:25 AM

Check to induce a bluff.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check to induce a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

ayessur!

c/r that flop though.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you check/raise the flop and successfully get HU with the initiative, you dont necessarily have to lead the turn. Keep in mind that against certain opponents theres nothing wrong with check/calling down at this point. Most of the time I will be leading the turn but not always. It may seem weird to check/raise the flop and then change it up on the turn and check/call down, but every line has its place. Its up to you to decide which line is best based on as many pertinent variables as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this idea on this board. CO might take a shot at the flop w/ a T here. If you c/r the flop and check the turn, it might scare him enough to check behind and take a free card fearing you are going to c/r him again or recognizing that your flop c/r signals that you have top or possibly 2nd pair.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this idea on this board. CO might take a shot at the flop w/ a T here. If you c/r the flop and check the turn, it might scare him enough to check behind and take a free card fearing you are going to c/r him again or recognizing that your flop c/r signals that you have top or possibly 2nd pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not advocating a turn check. Im just letting the hero know that this strategy should certainly be in his arsenal and it has its place against certain opponents. When most people check/raise the flop in this spot, they often let momentum carry them through on the next street and they bet the turn without thinking. What im basically saying is dont let momentum make your decisions.