Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2006, 09:51 AM

Default ATo vs blind UI

Back to basics.. WTF do I do here? My line seems really weak but with a pot this small I can't bring myself to make the crying call. Should I have raised instead knowing villain might be on a draw with the somewhat coordinated board?

How would your play change if hero held two overcards instead of one? Say AK on a Qxx flop?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 3 BB
Old 09-12-2006, 09:56 AM

Default Re: ATo vs blind UI

I think folding the flop is fine here.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:10 AM

There's a great post StellarWind made a while back about why it makes sense to float (call) a lot of these hands (namely, when you raise in late position and find yourself heads-up against a blind's donk-bet). You should very often be floating if you have two overcards and a good A, as you usually have 6 clean outs and villain could check the turn).

On this hand, though, you don't have much going for you. You are creamed by an K. Your opponent called out of the SB, not the BB, and you open-raised out of MP3, not cut-off or button. In other words, there are several reasons to believe you opponent might have a reasonably good hand.

So this is a fold.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:39 AM

id fold since the pot is so small. though i hate to cause i see blinds takin shots all the time. if anything id raise him and bet the turn for a free showdown. but whats the point for a pot like that? anythoughts on that line.

one more thing. does that player play striaght forward or do you think theyd go for a cr on that one knowing you would bet if he didnt.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:43 AM

Without any reads this is a standard fold.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
id fold since the pot is so small. though i hate to cause i see blinds takin shots all the time. if anything id raise him and bet the turn for a free showdown. but whats the point for a pot like that? anythoughts on that line.

one more thing. does that player play striaght forward or do you think theyd go for a cr on that one knowing you would bet if he didnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like raising the flop, and I'd hate to bet the turn. Usually the SB has at least a flush draw here; since you're unpaired, a flush draw with 2 live cards is even money against you. When he's got a pair, you've got 3-6 outs. Even if he's usually only has flush draw in this spot, you're still better off folding.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if he's usually only has flush draw in this spot, you're still better off folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. This hand illlustrates the power of the semi-bluff. Calling it is bad because we get terrible reverse implied odds. You either raise or fold, and raising is probably very marginal/spewing in this situation without a good read.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even if he's usually only has flush draw in this spot, you're still better off folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. This hand illlustrates the power of the semi-bluff. Calling it is bad because we get terrible reverse implied odds. You either raise or fold, and raising is probably very marginal/spewing in this situation without a good read.

[/ QUOTE ]

two good points [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2006, 12:58 PM

I like the fold too.

Show down a couple of hands and throw in a couple of folds like this and you have a nice weak-tight image you can begin to use to run over the table if you play it right.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:21 PM

the post is to small to justify calling with only around 4 outs and a backdoor flush draw. (I am assumingthe SB has a KIng). I think you made a good laydown.