Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2006, 02:53 AM

Default How\'s the U.S. Government performed over the last 200 years?

Granting that the purpose of a government is to protect, preserve, and promote the intrests of its citizens - how has the US Government performed over the last 200 years?

I'd also ask that you consider the following as givens:
1) Americans enjoy one of the highest standards of living compared to most countries.
2) Military wise, the U.S. is the only super-power on the planet. I'm not saying, morality wise, being the baddest cat in the alley should be a priority, but since we're all poker players, lets just call it having a huge chip stack.

With specifics aside and being as objective as possible - how'd they do?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:45 AM

Default Re: How\'s the U.S. Government performed over the last 200 years?

I'd go at it like this: Where in the world do you see a better future? What other country is trading on the uptick?

I'm not moving anytime soon.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd go at it like this: Where in the world do you see a better future? What other country is trading on the uptick?
I'm not moving anytime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn traitors. I mean traders. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2006, 10:15 AM

Default Re: How\'s the U.S. Government performed over the last 200 years? *DELETED*

Post deleted by [censored]
Old 09-12-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Granting that the purpose of a government is to protect, preserve, and promote the intrests of its citizens - how has the US Government performed over the last 200 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

Terribly. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. The government has gotten bigger over the last 200 years, which means that it has increased its share of the nation's wealth compared to its citizens, therefore it has not served them well.

(however, it might still be true that most other governments have served their respective citizens worse)
Old 09-12-2006, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. The government has gotten bigger over the last 200 years, which means that it has increased its share of the nation's wealth compared to its citizens, therefore it has not served them well.

(however, it might still be true that most other governments have served their respective citizens worse)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure it's grown faster than the economy or the population?

Mack
Old 09-12-2006, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

I am.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

Federal outlays as % of GDP

The chart on that site shows how federal spending as a % of GDP has grown over the last century. I don't have data from the 1800s readily available, but I am pretty sure spending was never as high (in % terms) as it has been post 1930s.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

Federal outlays as % of GDP

The chart on that site shows how federal spending as a % of GDP has grown over the last century. I don't have data from the 1800s readily available, but I am pretty sure spending was never as high (in % terms) as it has been post 1930s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it show what you get for it, so you can make a jadgement as to whether you prefer living now or 100 years ago, in a lower tax environment.

Mack
Old 09-12-2006, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Does it show what you get for it, so you can make a jadgement as to whether you prefer living now or 100 years ago, in a lower tax environment.
Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the question of my preference is only relevant to my portion of the government spending burden. I would prefer lower taxes, but the real question is what each individual would prefer to do with his own resources.

I don't claim to know what each individual's preference is. But i also claim that the government doesn't know. Left alone, an individual will spend his money the way he wants. The government uses coercive force to take money from its citizens, so there is no reason to think it is being spent on the things the citizens would have spent it on otherwise. In fact, there is a reason to think it is being spent contrary to the intentions of the original owners, because otherwise coercive force would not have been necessary.