Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Quetion about tourney betting patterns

I was reading the post about sheets limping in UTG with AQ. This is an understandable and supportable play. He also states that he doesnt like to play anything the same way. Here is my question. What is different from playin every hand differently then every hand the same, specifically open raises/re-raises)? Lets say you pick 3.5x the BB. If you open, you always raise 3.5x the BB whether you have Aces, 8s, KQ, or 57 (in LP). And if you were to re-raise, always re-raise 3.5x the raise, whether you are OOP, in position with Aces or Kings (maybe Qs) or whether you think this is a blinds battle. In theory, subcontiously you will have some sort of patern (due to the fact that nothing is truly random). So instead of raising to 1887, or 2193, or 2639 in 300/600 blinds, raise each time to the same amount (2100). Would this not throw oppontents off more than the random raise?

I ask this because I like to watch the final several tables of the big sunday tourneys (100r, 200r, and bigger buy in millions). It seems as though all the players make this "random raise" Anyone who has done well in these large field and large buyin tourneys, can you explain the reasoning behind the "random" raise. Thanks

~Dcviperboy
Old 09-11-2006, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Quetion about tourney betting patterns

no advice?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:02 AM

One potential benefit that I see in the "random" raise is that you can sneak in a bigger bet when you have a hand that can stand a reraise and/or sneak in a smaller bet when you plan to fold to a reraise, but the apparent "randomness" of your bets may disguise this from your opponents.

However, I personally use a standard raise, so I can only speculate as to why someone would use a random raise.

Later,
Che
Old 09-12-2006, 12:50 AM

What Che said.

Also - I will make like 15 standard raises in a row, then do a different one. Now THAT makes an observant opponent stop for a moment and ask him/herself "Why dd he do that?" Hopefully they will arrive at the wrong answer... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2006, 01:01 AM

I also think it might depend on position somewhat -- I sometimes will raise more from middle or late position than early position, no matter what I am holding, I guess with the idea that a raise from early position already shows strength. But usually 3x BB - 4x BB -- I know a lot of really strong players prefer the 2.5x BB but I feel like in lower buy-in tourneys that smaller raise doesn't buy the blinds often enough and I tend to like to make myself have fewer difficult decisions (good luck to me with that one!).
Old 09-12-2006, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also think it might depend on position somewhat -- I sometimes will raise more from middle or late position than early position, no matter what I am holding, I guess with the idea that a raise from early position already shows strength. But usually 3x BB - 4x BB -- I know a lot of really strong players prefer the 2.5x BB but I feel like in lower buy-in tourneys that smaller raise doesn't buy the blinds often enough and I tend to like to make myself have fewer difficult decisions (good luck to me with that one!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Another good reason to keep raises smallr in EP an larger in LP is that when you are called - you'd rather play a SMALLER pot OOP and a LARGER pot in position.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:29 AM

yes, and if re-raised, same idea -- easier to call a re-raise in postion than if OOP and if you have to muck pre-flop in EP it costs less. I have had some success with the limp-in with a premium hand UTG when I am pretty sure I will get re-raised, but there's nothing worse than getting 5 or 6 callers which can happen too.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have had some success with the limp-in with a premium hand UTG when I am pretty sure I will get re-raised, but there's nothing worse than getting 5 or 6 callers which can happen too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2006, 06:38 AM

You do want to use different sized raises for different things and you are artificially limiting yourself if you only have one raise size. While I have a sort of "basic" raise size I use I deviate from in it in small amounts, and this disguises the times I do so with a purpose in mind (say a slightly higher raise with a good hand, for example).
Old 09-12-2006, 06:53 AM

i whould make bets ranging from 2 to 5 times bb. In low buy in tourneys i try to keep the bets around 3 to 5, cause this will chase middle strenght hands out and it makes for an easier discission after the flop.