Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 08:24 AM

Default Question: when to fire second bullet

This is a theory question. I'm slowly losing my bankroll $1 at a time because of these situations. I think I get too involved with big hole cards that miss the flop, and I am not sure if villain knows that I missed and is bluffing at the pot, or if they actually have caught a piece and have me beat.

I read the thread that was here, which was a great read, but I was wondering, if we c-bet the flop OOP and are called, what sort of situation is appropriate fire a second bullet?

Say for instance (100BB stacks) I raise with AK and am called by the button and the flop is Q72, I fire my usual continuation bet 3/4 pot and am called. Now, let's say the turn is a 4, or any dead card for instance. Is the usual line to shut down and c/f, or do many people fire a second bullet here?

I understand that this is probably a read dependent situation, but if there are any general thoughts or comments on this area, or even any links to previous discussions about this, I would be greatly appreciative.

-lacrymosa
Old 09-11-2006, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Question: when to fire second bullet

If the turn card is a scare card like an ace I might fire against a non monkey. This is read dependent of course, but they often put you on an ace and might lay it down. I also fire a second bullet when the villain makes an insta call on my first one. This is often a sign of weakness and usually will lay it down to a second bullet. These two situations I suppose are the two I find most profitable...although I its important to pay attention to the board as well as your opponents.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:56 PM

anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 09-11-2006, 07:20 PM

Remember that a continuation bet is hardly mandatory. With pokeroffice I can easily show someone's cont. bet percentage, and using that stat pick off their bets just like you've been experiencing. You make it too easy to play against you if you are always putting yourself in this situation.

You have lots of options that don't include giving up on the hand:
- c/c flop, lead turn
- c/r flop
- c/c flop, c/c turn, pot size bet on river
- c/c all the way down
- bet flop
- bet flop & turn
- etc

Also, realise that very seldom will you find a fish trying to pick off your cont. bet. If they're betting or calling, I usually give up.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:18 PM

I fire second bullets when the following is true.

- Villain is not obviously braindead

Combined w/ one or more of the following

- Scare card hits on turn
- Villain's betting pattern seems generally weak
- Villain makes habit of calling flop bets and folding to turn aggression (i.e. is bad at floating)

The last point happens to me with some frequency since I play fairly laggy--you get lots of weak-tights half-heartedly "playing back at you," which is pretty easy to exploit.