Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 05:53 PM

Default Looking into building a poker program, looking for feature ideas

Hello all, sorry for the OT post but I wanted more exposure so I can get some solid feedback on this.

I code VBA and SQL in Microsoft Access at my job. After giving Poker Tracker a run I am considering either creating my own Access Poker Program or maybe a PT plug-in. I'm looking for some ideas above and beyond what PT already does. If you have ever said "I wish Poker Tracker did ____", I would like your feedback. Please be serious and realistic in your responses. Should this ambition come to fruition, I would glady share the final product with those who attempt to contribute. Thanks for the time.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Looking into building a poker program, looking for feature ideas

I wish Poker Tracker did triple-draw lowball.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:47 PM

I wish that if I had enough hands on someone, my add-on programs could display the stats from that position only.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:53 PM

Don't try to outPokerTracker PokerTracker would be my advice.

Instead, focus on analysis. Make a program that has built-in tools for analysing luck (whether you are hitting draws and so on), hand types (are my cbets winning pots?), players: PT doesn't have great capabilities for making notes -- I'd like a program that a/ allowed easy import and export to PokerRoom, where I play and, more importantly, b/ automatically analysed hand histories to see where players bet, whether they bet draws etc, slowplayed and things like called flop/turn/folded river, called flop/turn/won pots -- you get an idea of these things from their aggro factor, but if you want to analyse a player, you have to go through the HHs and work it out by hand. Why bother with that? Well, PT tells me that player X and player Y are fish. They have fishy stats, sure enough. But I know that player X will call down with nothing and lose $$$; player Y will call only when he has something. A tool that could extract raising ranges would be good. Of course, all of these things are constrained by only being able to see holecards that are shown down and of course you can correlate percentages to ranges, but there might be some use in knowing that player Z raises every time he has a pair or an ace or whatever.

Tools that analyse whether you run better against tighter or looser tables might be useful. Also, everyone likes a graph, so more graphing and charting tools would be good.

Naturally, you can work most of this out from observation, but people just love tools.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:45 PM

being very serious, is there anyway u can find out if the cards are being dealt correctly?

like find out if you are pickin up flush draws close to the right ammount of the time with 2 suited cards (and hitting them 25% of the time)...or filling up your boats the correct ammount of the time. i dont mean in like a 20K hand sample, but i mean if i put my database together with my friends' databases...would the numbers look correct? i would love to see something like this come together...just to see if there is any discrepency with online poker

i really want to see if all these flush over flushes, and boat over boats are really just part of normal variance.

if you could do that for like HE and Omaha...that would b damn sweet. id really b interested in seeing those numbers.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:12 PM

i'd like to see a program specialized for NL, something that takes into account bet sizes. knowing an opponent bets the flop 40% of the time doesn't mean much if 35% of the time they donk 1 BB and 5% of the time they bet pot.
also i'd like something that shows you how much you spend on flush draws and then how much you make off of them, same thing for straight draws, and shows you how much you make/lose playing against draws to see if you aren't giving correct implied odds