Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 02:49 PM

Default K5s as a poster

1/2 crypto

I have just sat and post in late position. It is folded to the person on my right who raises. I have K5s and I make the call. Everyone else folds.

Flop is 986r with none of my suit. He leads and I raise.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:53 PM

Default Re: K5s as a poster

I don't mind it, but you're going to have to follow it up with another bet on the turn.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:55 PM

it's cool but I dont mind a 3bet pf either
Old 09-09-2006, 03:44 PM

Are you raise for a free river? or are you just trying to push him off his hand?
Old 09-09-2006, 03:46 PM

i like a fold here, your drawing to a worst part of the straight, have a tainted overcard, have no clue about ur opponent, no need to push too early, get information then decide to make such marginal plays, the pot is small ur risking alot
Old 09-10-2006, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i like a fold here, your drawing to a worst part of the straight, have a tainted overcard, have no clue about ur opponent, no need to push too early, get information then decide to make such marginal plays, the pot is small ur risking alot

[/ QUOTE ]

In order to make this play, we need some chance that he will fold a better hand and some chance that we have the best hand already. Without those possibilities, I agree that this would be a marginal call which possible domination would make me inclined to pass on. But I think those possibilities are sufficiently there.

If I knew this to be the type of opponent that would 3-bet here with just overs, then I would not like this play, but that sort of opponent is not common at 1/2. As it turns out, he had pocket jacks and even with that hand he did not 3-bet me. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] He check-called all the way when the 7 came on the turn. I probably would not have taken much notice of this hand except he typed "skilz" in the chat window after it was over. I went on to have a good run of cards and played 32/20 pre-flop at the table, no doubt confirming his read of me as a LAG. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I wonder what others think, but it seems to me that if you are going to fold here, then calling pre-flop is probably a mistake. As a side note: I called pre-flop (as opposed to 3-betting) with the plan of raising a wide variety of flops if we ended up heads-up.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:10 AM

I fold pre-flop. (I assume in K5s the s stands for spades, and in 986r the r stands for red or rainbow).

K5s is a little to weak for me to call a reaise, even for one-bet, pre-flop. At these levels their are to many Ax players to make playing this hand profitale - my opinion. Also, what are you trying to hit with this hand. By calling pre-flop, I would be hoping for a flush or flush draw - I really can't see the king pairing being very strong because the kicker will likely be counterfeited, and pairing the 5 is pretty marginal.

If I did make the call pre-flop, then I would fold on the flop. The flop pretty much missed me. One over and a gutshot straight draw is a little weak. Unless I knew this player was capable of folding to a raise here - I say go away and wait for a better spot.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(I assume in K5s the s stands for spades, and in 986r the r stands for red or rainbow).

[/ QUOTE ]

s stands for suited; r stands for rainbow.

What range of hands would you raise with in his position?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:15 PM

My calling range here would basically be the hands that I would normally enter a pot with from middle to late position - essentailly 88+, suited connectors 8+, any xTs+(where x is J+), A9s, ATo+, KJo+, and QJo.

To raise here - I would stick with my standard re-raise range of TT+, AJs+, AQo+ and maybe KQs.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:20 PM

3-bet preflop