Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 01:56 PM

Default Am I overplaying Aces ?

Ok so both these hands happened today, and I'm just wondering if I get can away from them without busting. In the 2nd one the villain and myself had been battling and he had fired 2 barrels at me with bottom pair and I had called him down with 2nd pair, so I don't think I was his favourite person in the world [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

My question is, how do I get away from these flops without losing a stack, or does this post just belong in BBV ?

I think i could maybe lead out more, but i felt it was unlikely i had been outflopped and so my opponents were drawing slim. Particularly with the second villain, I thought if I gave him enough rope he would do somehting crazy like this. But I guess there is no reason to call such a monster bet into a small pot?

Any comments welcome thanks.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($67.90)
Button ($105.15)
SB ($98)
Hero ($98.50)
UTG ($126.20)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, Button calls $4, SB folds.

Flop: ($14) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

Turn: ($44) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $60</font>, Button calls $59.15 (All-In), Hero calls $17.50 (All-In).

River: ($205.65) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $205.65

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($190.48)
BB ($117.35)
Hero ($225.66)
Button ($100)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, SB (poster) calls $3.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($9) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($9) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $6.98</font>, Hero calls $6.98.

River: ($22.96) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB calls $179.50 (All-In), Hero calls $179.50.

Final Pot: $381.96
Old 09-09-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Am I overplaying Aces ?

In the first hand I would think that you should lead the flop here. After that I think that the hand plays very differently.

Second hand I think that the River bet is very scary, and call / fold would be based on what you know of the opponent.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:07 PM

Why are there no flop bets from you?

The second hand seems simpler. A $180 bet into a $22 pot. Aces are beat. He knows you call with a hand and knows you don't raise pre flop without something. You think he's miffed at you for the previous encounter - he thinks you think he's miffed and will bluff. Hence he waits for something nutty and nails you.

First hand. Bet the pot and if he shoves then you know you're beat. By check raising him on the turn you give him no room to bet an amount that contains information about his hand. i.e. if he has something he'll call, if he doesn't (but has an out) he'll call because it's virtually all in there already anyway.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:10 PM

I think you underplayed your hand both times, then got smoked.

True
Old 09-09-2006, 02:11 PM

Your PFR in #1 is way too small. Make it at least 12 to go. Raising to $5 is a very big mistake, you give away your hand without denying your opponents the correct implied odds to call. If you 3bet enough you shouldn't worry about getting away from it. And why didn't you just lead the flop? I don't understand a check/call here...

Hand 2: BET THE FLOP!!! Checking here is really terrible, you risk giving a free card and by not betting you're not gaining any value.

As for the river, this is the easiest fold ever. He bets 9 times the pot and you just have one pair, you have to fold this.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:14 PM

hand 1 reraise more...hand 2 bet flop and adjust from there...the beauty of TAG is that he won't put you on AA and will pay you off with any piece of flop..or lower PP
Old 09-09-2006, 02:15 PM

go down to nl 25 or 10

True
Old 09-09-2006, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is BB with A, A. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
2 folds, Button raises to $2, SB (poster) calls $1.50, Hero raises to $5, Button calls $4, SB folds

[/ QUOTE ] I love it when suckers do this. You might as well type in "I have aces" in the chatbox along with the 30/1+ implied odds you give him. You're a santa. If he's reasonable he won't be betting at all without a ten, but you can't know this. To you your play looks weak and he might be bluffing, but a good player won't bother with this hand.

Raise it to ten preflop, then this belongs in BBV because there is something to fight for if he has 88 or whatever.

Played this way you have no clue whether you are the donator or the other guy.

[ QUOTE ]
River: ($22.96) J (3 players)
SB calls $179.50 (All-In), Hero calls $179.50.

[/ QUOTE ] Giving it away on a plate. After your big call downs with the middle pair, he thinks he can get a sucker call out of you with pretty much any pair.

Also about the flopbets, in both hands there are straight flush draws. Neither flop is safe. Checking really bad.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:33 PM

Hand 1:
Raise more pf.
Lead flop.
c/r turn is bad.

Hand 2:
Lead flop.
Turn: call or raise both seem fine. Depends what you think he calls a raise with.
River: easy fold to open push.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:44 PM

Riase more PF. Bet those [censored] flops.