Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 12:33 PM

Default Semi bluff spewing?

Villain is 22/0/1 after 44 hands.

Is the continuation bet on the turn pure spew? Is flop Standard? What's your stand?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, T.
[color=#666666]2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, [color=#666666]2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) K, 5, Q [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 4 [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (4.50 BB) 7 [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
Hero checks, [color=#CC3333]MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB
Old 09-09-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Semi bluff spewing?

First, make sure you set the converter to 2p2 format...makes it more readable. Also, look at the preview of your post before submitting, to make sure it doesn't look like this.

As to the hand, you don't really have a read, but preflop if you're going to play (and I think you should play) you should raise to try and get it HU against what appears to be a weak player.

Had you pfr'd, I'd say the flop bet is fine. As you played it, the pot is tiny, check/fold the flop.

Since you made it to the turn...Vill appears to be a calling-station, albeit slightly tighter than most, so semi-bluffs aren't an effective tool against him, as he won't fold, leaving you with just the "semi" no "bluff".

On the river, the way you played it, I see no other chance for you to win the pot but to bet one more time. I would hate to do it, but there you are. Having checked to him, you have no choice but to fold to his bet, given how passive he appears, but there's a non-zero chance that you folded the best hand.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:05 PM

I would raise preflop to get the BB out. MP2 just calling preflop seems weak so you probably have the best hand. You also create some fold equity by raising preflop when you totally miss the flop.

I would play this the same, a lot of people call flop's with anything so that doesn't have to mean anything. When he calls the turn bet it should be the last bet you are putting in. Unless you hit an A or a J.

What if you had position and he checked to you on the turn. Would you take the freecard or bet? And why?
Old 09-09-2006, 01:43 PM

Thanks bozlax, now I know better.

I never thought of raising AT in a blind preflop, but having it up against one weak limper I can definitely see its merit. Along with getting BB out, playing the rest of the hand becomes much easier. I've been adhereing to SSHE starting hands way too strictly.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:53 PM

u didnt raise pf, therefore theres no such thing as a cbet, as played im checking, pot is small u have a gutshot with tainted overcards
Old 09-09-2006, 04:52 PM

What is your read on BB? I'm probably raising to fold him out and get it HU with the 22/0 who I am likely ahead of.

As played, I'm checking that flop and hoping for a free card.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:53 PM

no raise pf. no real need to steal. id probably be more likey the check the flop and then bet the turn if checked around. worse odds but better success rate for me against that field(not to mention you know that if someon calls your ace outs are still good, they would have raise with ak or aq) plus you have striaght outs.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:55 PM

Everybody's right, since there was no preflop raising you should check/fold this smallll pot on this flop. I was assuming a preflop raise when writing my idea's on this hand.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:08 PM

Say I raise preflop to get rid of BB and bet the flop, what's my play on the turn if I haven't improved? Check/fold? Or bet as the last money going in as Bullitos said?