SB calls ($2.00) [3.63:1].
UTG folds [3.63:1].

Turn (29 bets ($7.25) in pot, 2 players):

HERO bets $4.00.
SB calls ($4.00) [3.81:1].

River (61 bets ($15.25) in pot, 2 players):

HERO bets $8.00.
SB calls ($8.00) [3.91:1].

I'm thinking my line was a little timid. Villain has been loose passive, but i've only seen him for maybe 25 hands.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:28 PM

Default Re: AQ line check

This really looks like a WA/WB situation. You'll see AK or AJ or AT here almost all the time. I assume since villain is SB he's checking to you every time. If he isn't going to do the betting your line looks fine. That is, unless you have a specific read that he has AK.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:32 PM

I bet more on all streets.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:33 PM

I pot it on the flop with the flush draw on board. I keep leading like you did, and likely fold to a river raise by a passive opponent.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:34 PM

Action appears slightly messed up. SB should be acting first but it looks like he has position on you. Assuming that SB is checking every street:

Looks good.
I might sometimes check behind on the turn and just call a river bet if a non club hits. You can make the bets slightly larger in proportion to the pot size to maximise the value, assuming you're ahead here.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:35 PM

According to something dbitel mentioned this morning TPTK is worth 63 bets for some mathematical reason he has yet to explain to me. I have always liked dbitels advice and I feel I'm beat here by AK and an occasional two pair here enough to warrant this size of bet. Again, assuming there are no reads.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet more on all streets.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-08-2006, 06:50 PM

definitely giving too good odds on each bet....i agree with the "bet more on all streets" premise
Old 09-08-2006, 07:47 PM

The names for the players are very confusing since SB is really the CO and UTG is the SB...

Anyway, I'm going to go against the "bet more on all streets" suggestion.

I like the 2/3rds pot bet. If you're making pot sized continuation bets when you miss on any board with a draw that's just too much. Continuation bets are generally 1/2 to 2/3rds the pot because they'll get people to fold when they miss and you save money when you get called and have to give it up. So if you make smaller bets when you miss and pot sized bets when you hit it's pretty obvious when you hit. So I like a standard 1/2 - 2/3rds pot bet on the flop. And this is a great flop for us. It's unlikely anyone was holding a 2, there's almost no straight draw and lower pairs are now screwed. Sure we would have liked rainbow but you can't get the perfect flop everytime.

We were pretty much WA/WB before the turn but the club on the turn means you're definitely either WA/WB because any flush just got there. I don't think there's any point in putting in a PSB on the turn because it'll just turn our hand into a bluff (worse hands never call and better hands never fold) so a little more than 1/2 the pot is fine.

On the river a read would really help I think. If he's a donk that's calling all the way down with A9 and only raises with an awesome hand I like the 1/2 pot bet again. With a bad hand and a bigger bet he'll probably have the sense to throw it away if you bet much more but would like to see the show down. If he raises you, you can be sure your hand is no good. It takes some REAL aggression to call down all the way here and raise on the river with jack [censored].

If he's really tight and passive I'd just check/call the river because when he keeps calling he's got to have a hand and it very well might be better than yours. It'd be too weak to fold the river and he might show AJ or AT and being passive and either wanting to get paid off or worried about a bigger Ax I don't think he'll bet too much.

Thoughts?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:49 PM

Oops just saw he was loose passive. I like the bet on the river too.