Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 05:08 AM

Default Could I have played this any differently? FT hand.

33$ freezeout, FT, 6 left. Big stack at the table has over 350k, rest of us hoovering between 100-175k. Blinds at 4000-8000-400

Hero (170k) open 66 from 2nd position to 20k. SB basically mini-raise me 20k more. I call (fold? re-raise? push?). I havn't played with him yet, he hasn't shown any hands down so far at the FT. I have been playing very tight, but doubled up in that orbit by re-stealing with KT and got called by QJ.

Flop 9TT. He checks. I check. (Bet here? If so, how much? I only have 135k left)

Turn Q. He checks again. Now i'm confused and check behind again. Is this a place to take a stab at the pot?

River J. He checks and I cannot beat anything so I check behind and he shows AJ and takes away a pot that ended up being extremely importent, since it basically shut me down for the rest of the FT.

Could I have played this better? I just couldn't find a spot to bet, but giving up a pot like that can't be correct either.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Could I have played this any differently? FT hand.

I probably bet the flop... 35-40K

And do NOT post the results....
Old 09-08-2006, 06:53 AM

I play it exactly the same as you. I see this line with aces a lot.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:05 AM

I would of folded preflop, a min raise at the final table is very fishy. He obviously wants you to stick around in the hand players usually do that with AA,KK,or QQ. Once in a while it's done with A-K.

I'm not feeling very good about my 66 after he min raises.

If you are to play this hand I don't know that calling is a good option. You'll only be happy with a 6 on the flop, as played I think you set yourself up for more trouble than you needed. If you are going to play the hand a reraise is probably best (the only thing about that is do you want to commit yourself to 66?)

It seems to me you'd want to bet something on the Turn especially if there were a flush out there, than if your opponent did have AA they'd have to think about being beaten by a Flush, Straight or possibly full house.

In this hand you never applied any pressure to your opponent and that was the mistake. Than again I lay this one down preflop