Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 04:53 AM

Default Online poker farms

Well I've made a bundle in the last couple months playing poker and this idea comes back to me. I am 22 and like most people my age know a ton of people my age who play alot of video games and would probably with the right training be good multitablers following a basic, nit like strategy. If I could train people to beat the games for $40/hr (8 tabling that is 5$/hr/table easy to do at $3/$6 limit or $.5/$1 nl) I would be making half of that ($20/hr). Have 5 working at a time and that's $100 an hour gross right. So here's what you do...

Have 5 computers with sick monitor set up. Provide a week or so of solid 8 hours a day training. Have a 'manager' who overseas all their play, giving advice, making sure they don't tilt, analysing their PT databases, etc. They would all play at different sites to prevent any sort of problems with collusion. I could be the manager or I know a guy who would be good for it.

I'm thinking costs would be minimal; I could run it out of my apartment. So we've got the initial start up costs (computers, monitors, software). Since online poker can be run off relatively crappy computers the equipment wouldn't cost that much. I think it really wouldn't be too hard to train someone to play like a nit at full ring, and the games are definitely beatable by a nit. What am I missing?
Old 09-08-2006, 06:06 AM

Default Re: Online poker farms

Anyone who can actually win has no motivation to stay with you and work for you.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:19 AM

1) There would be no risk to them because they'd be paid hourly
2) they'd need to set up everything themselves / play without a coach
3) They'd need a bankroll
4) I'd recruit ppl I know and friends which would be motivation their relationship with me
Old 09-08-2006, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) There would be no risk to them because they'd be paid hourly
2) they'd need to set up everything themselves / play without a coach
3) They'd need a bankroll
4) I'd recruit ppl I know and friends which would be motivation their relationship with me

[/ QUOTE ]
5) Within about 30 minutes one of them would be dumping everything to their friend and I would be broke.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:36 AM

I thought about exactly this awhile back. They have these places for traders with a similar set-up. In some cases the traders trade their own accounts and basically pay rent. In others they're trading for the firm's account. There's usually some training/coaching involved.

However, in the instance of trading, the firm is providing them with the equipment, tools, data and access to the markets. In the case of poker, all of these are pretty cheap.

As someone else said, they'd just learn the trade from you and work for you while they build a bankroll then leave. You've got to remember that the exact reason so many people do this for a living is not having to work for the man. There's really no appeal to doing this for someone else.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:34 AM

Having people play for you probably wouldn't work to well. If they can beat the game, they would not have a reason to stay very long. Why give you a cut, when they have all the equipment/resources available themselves?

You could put a spin on the idea and make it a free tutoring service. Just require them to have at least $300-500. Tutor a couple people at a time for a couple hours a day for 10-20 hours total.

You would make money by having them sign up and deposit at 2-3 sites using your affiliate code/links. Tutoring them would then make you a little money. If they can win, there is potential for long term revenue. At some point you would also want to teach them a little about bonuses and give them a list of sites, bonuses, and bonus codes. This would increase the chances of you receiving revenue from whatever site they end up staying at.

The tutoring model has only a little short term profit, but has long tern potential. It depends on if you can find enough people that have at least some motivation to win and you are a decent teacher.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:56 PM

Lame idea for reasons stated below.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:36 PM

Problem is who is to stop the trainees once they are trained to just open up poker accounts in there own name and keep all the profits, you would need some dumb workers to do that so you might as well create an efficient bot and duplicate that multiple times. It will never work, sorry to get your hopes up but people are just not that ignorant. wont make any long term money, just short term and training that many people takes a lot of time and not worth the short-term profits, not to mention the short term will have greater variance in bankroll since newbies make newbie mistakes and there is no knowledge of poker like experience.
[ QUOTE ]
Well I've made a bundle in the last couple months playing poker and this idea comes back to me. I am 22 and like most people my age know a ton of people my age who play alot of video games and would probably with the right training be good multitablers following a basic, nit like strategy. If I could train people to beat the games for $40/hr (8 tabling that is 5$/hr/table easy to do at $3/$6 limit or $.5/$1 nl) I would be making half of that ($20/hr). Have 5 working at a time and that's $100 an hour gross right. So here's what you do...

Have 5 computers with sick monitor set up. Provide a week or so of solid 8 hours a day training. Have a 'manager' who overseas all their play, giving advice, making sure they don't tilt, analysing their PT databases, etc. They would all play at different sites to prevent any sort of problems with collusion. I could be the manager or I know a guy who would be good for it.

I'm thinking costs would be minimal; I could run it out of my apartment. So we've got the initial start up costs (computers, monitors, software). Since online poker can be run off relatively crappy computers the equipment wouldn't cost that much. I think it really wouldn't be too hard to train someone to play like a nit at full ring, and the games are definitely beatable by a nit. What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-08-2006, 09:57 PM

set this up in a 3rd world country where they speak english such as the philippines. 99% of your work force probably won't qualify for a credit card. pay $5/hr in wages. profit.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:08 AM

I think if you are going to do this, you could try the Philippines like the above poster said. Head down to the local engineering school and start training them. Here is the catch. As the above posters stated, anyone good enough to win, will know it, and leave you quickly. What you must do is sign them up to their own accounts and be their affiliate, now when they go off on their own, you'll be collecting 25%+ of their rake. Of course you'll want to pick the best RB site to do this with.
Even after all this, I imagine you'll still have trouble with the good players doing a little research and leaving you for their own RB deals.
Max