Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Nut-flush slowplay

After reading this topic on the same topic and its responses, I started thinking about this hand I played a few days ago. At the time it seemed like I played it well, but I think it would be good to have it reviewed. The call preflop might have been loose, but what about the rest of the hand? Is this a good situation for a slowplay?

Party Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (11 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, UTG calls.

River: (27 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 36 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has 4d 6d (flush, jack high).
Hero has Ad 8d (flush, ace high).
Button has Qd Jh (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 36 BB. </font>
Old 01-25-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Nut-flush slowplay

pretty different hands. here you have a preflop raiser yet to act and the pot is multiway. i agree with not raising the initial flop bet, but a case could be made for 3-betting button's raise or donking the turn or just doing what you did. really this type of hand is difficult to "analyze" and will not yield too much valuable information.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:01 PM

*grunch*

I probably would have 3-bet it on the flop after the button brought it in for a raise. The players that have called both the bet and the raise will probably call a 3-bet as well. If you are lucky the button might cap the betting and you would be getting maixmum value on the flop.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:01 PM

When you flop the nuts in a multiway pot, slowplaying is fine.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:05 PM

*grunch*

We have lots of opponents on the flop. I may have just called on the flop after UTG bets and not drive out the rest of the field. After the button raises I step on the gas with a raise. If another [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] comes on the turn the action could slow down.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:07 PM

Wouldnt that risk reigning in the betting on the turn? Since I had one bettor and one raiser and so many callers, I figures if I left it I would almost certainly get the value back on the turn in form of a cap.

Is this a correct analysis of the situation, or is my reasoning flawed (ie, I WONT get the value back since the turn is going to be capped anyway, or it's far from certain that I'm going to get satisfactory action on the turn regardless)?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you flop the nuts in a multiway pot, slowplaying is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think may be the other way around. Not commenting on this specific hand, but the more multi-way the pot is, the more likely it is that if the board pairs you will blow a huge pot to a full house. I'd rather take that risk against only one or two opponents.

In this case, I probably would have played it the same looking to get my raise in on the turn instead of the flop because the flop raise wasn't going to knock anyone out and I could get more money in on the turn. Given that paired board though, I would be sweating a bit. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2006, 08:29 PM

The PF call depends on the table. At a very loose table I'm not against it. I don't mind the check on the flop but I would 3 bet when you have the opportunity since these guys are already in for 2 bets each and you mind as well start pumping them. While highly unlikely a straight flush draw is possible so get your cash in while you are ahead.

I'm not sure I like the turn cap or the river 3 bet. JT is a hand a lot of people play and you could very well be behind by this point, especially after button starts going nuts. I call the turn 3 bet and call down. But I'm probably weak.

Ok, I'm an idiot. You have the 8d so a straight flush draw isn't out there. In that case I have no problem waiting til the turn. But I still feel that you maybe should have been more cautious on the turn and river w/ the paired board.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you flop the nuts in a multiway pot, slowplaying is REALLY REALLY AWESOME POKER!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-25-2006, 09:23 PM

Yeah I think so, no way I wanna send 2 bets to the field here.