Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 01:47 PM

Default KTs hand

After tilting at NL I decided to play some 15/30 limit. First time playing limit in a long time, how much did I missplay this hand and whats my river play?

Unfortunately it was my first orbit so no reads.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 folds, SB calls.

Turn: (13.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (15.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ... ?</font>

Final Pot: 23.50 BB
Old 09-07-2006, 02:12 PM

Default Re: KTs hand

KTs is too weak to open UTG in a 9 handed game. I'd say KQs and up. On the flop I'd just call after being 3 bet since most of the time a preflop cold cappper generally has AA, KK, JJ, or the less likely AK in this spot.

The way the hand played out I'm pretty sure the villain has AA since you've got a K and a cold cap out the small blind is usually not JJ. I'd have folded on the turn. The T is not really relevant unless he's an absolute nut job with AQ.

Aces and 3s beat kings and tens.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:14 PM

the river didn't change all that much - you only sucked out on AK. I would just call.

also I think you grossly overplayed the flop for really no reason.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:21 PM

I think you played the flop way too strong. Preflop, it's not awesome when your open-raise with a hand like KT is 3-bet and capped behind you, so that usually indicates you need to play top pair cautiously. KTs has turned into a hand that gets its best value with a straight or flush, given this action.

So when you hit the K, you're really only ahead of QQ if SB has a typical capping range in a 9-handed mid-limit game. I understand raising to thin the field, but you may just be charging yourself vs. AA/AK.

The river is really only a good card for you if he has AK. You're still behind any other hand you were already behind (like AA, KK, JJ) so I'd just call. Basically, you probably gave a bit too much action with top pair-mediocre kicker here.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:22 PM

Fold preflop, dont cap the flop if you like money, call the river.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:05 PM

Hey Hatt,

I don't open KTs until 4otb anymore, but after you do and an MP 3bets and SB caps, you have a fold. As other have said, on the flop your cap is definitely spewing. And even after you've bloated the pot this huge, you turn might still have a fold on the turn. It's extremely close, enough where I can't tell without doing some math beyond the typical stuff, but if I had to guess I'd guess it's a turn fold by a hair. If you hadn't capped the flop, it would definitely be a turn fold.

GoT
Old 09-07-2006, 06:20 PM

Default Result

I raised the river, he made it 3-bets and I capped, he called with AA and MHING (big surprise huuuh).

Is it possible to play a hand worse than this?

Tilting is dangerous.

I played some 15/30, 10-handed on party about a year ago with a pretty good result, thinking taking it up again beeing a little, tired at NL ATM, but I guess I have to play better than this if I should...
Old 09-07-2006, 07:08 PM

*utg raise is typically too loose, but ok a small %age of the time or if the time is right.

*I wouldn't fold p/f with K-10s for two more bets.

* flop cap is bad but acceptable some of the time if image is unknown or repsectable, provided you're looking at checking the turn unimproved. Given your runner-runner draws this is about as good a time as any to over-bet the flop this way. It would certainly be more preferable with out someone acting after you. I suspect you were unlucky to find a 3 on the turn - as it probably encouraged him to lead out.

* Turn is a fold, but tough to execute with so much action and emotion invested in the flop.

* River is a call, unless perhaps you could execute a raise fold, although, I'd still probably put you ahead less than 50%, which makes it a call. You need 67% if you can't raise-fold, unless he sometimes only calls with AA (which he prlly should since you could have played a crazy AQs, or simple called the turn with a boat)

4-bet - sick, but I've made sicker plays.

gl
Old 09-07-2006, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Result

[ QUOTE ]
I raised the river, he made it 3-bets and I capped, he called with AA and MHING (big surprise huuuh).

[/ QUOTE ]