Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 12:03 PM

Default how to play LA maniac lucky idiot?

how do you play against a loose aggressive maniac idiot who's very lucky? i'm at a table with a guy who plays 85% of his hands, raises and reraises with crap like 72o...and he makes sets on the river with the weakest of hands, and flush after flush.

do you walk away or just play really tight until his luck runs out? i mean, he's got money and he's willing to throw it away, but you can't read this guy at all...how do you read a hand on a guy who reraises with 72 offsuit and NOTHING - not even a bottom pair - at the turn??? i want to be there when his luck turns, but i don't want to get killed in the process...

if you flop a good hand, like TPTK, do you just call him and assume he's playing crap again?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Re: how to play LA maniac lucky idiot?

[ QUOTE ]
do you walk away or just play really tight until his luck runs out?

[/ QUOTE ]

None of the above. If he's playing very loose, your should be reraising and trying to isolate with any decent hand. If possible, get the seat jsut to his left. If he's causing the whole table to tilt, and you can't isolate, then you need to play tight. Walk away only if you hate money. Yes, while he's running good, you may lose some money. That's variance. That's why you need a bankroll. You don't need to read a player like this. Just make sure your playing better cards than he is and let probability work for you. Yes, sometimes he's going to get lucky and actually have good cards, or catch good, but if you keep getting the money in with the best of it, you will make money from a player like this.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:45 PM

i kept playing my good cards and went from my worst session ever to my best session ever, all courtesy of this lunatic. too bad he left...

kinda' scary to keep re-raising but i'll keep that in mind next time i run across someone like this...in re-playing my hands against him i can definitely see where i should have re-raised...i was just spooked by his earlier lucky streak; i was happy to raise and call a re-raise, but a little too spooked to reraise...

i'm learning...
Old 09-07-2006, 04:12 PM

You can't beat a lucky idiot. That's what "lucky" stands for after all.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:21 PM

if you have TPTK, you play the value of your hand. 3-bet the flop, bet the turn and if he raises you on the turn, you go into check/call mode.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:27 PM

Hi everyone,

I want to say something here. First, let’s stop calling super aggressive players "lunatics" and "lucky idiots". I too like to play super aggressive and constantly attack early position players and weakness. I don't care what I am holding, I play players and their fears and not my cards. It is actually a very hard game to play, and you have to be able to smell danger and let go, but other than that, if you can get good at this game, you will find yourself sitting at 5-7 times your starting stack (eg. if you playing $100NL, you'd be sitting at $500-$700 at the end of your session). The beauty about being aggressive is when I make an all-in bet with a lock hand on the river - I get action from all those that are out there to get me and sitting there and thinking "dam this dude, he is breaking the law of playing too many hands - I am gonna take his stack", but guess what?? He starts to challenge me every time I raise, and I fold, and call, and reraise, but then magic happens and "kachunk" - he got stacked. That's what I wanted him to do - to start challenging me. I can’t believe people, they will sit there and hold two pair or a TPTK and call an all-in bet on the river thinking that they are invincible. Sure, I loose small pots here and there, but all this time I am taking notes of those bad calls they are making, and then when it matters – I make my bets larger and return all my investments.

One thing I don’t like about tight players is that you can read them like a book. Here is an example...
I hold 72 off, everyone folds to me on the button, I raise 3 times BB, get re-raised by the BB 2.5 times, I call and the flop comes 2 3 7. The BB comes out firing with a slight overbet. What does this tell me??? From the preflop action and now, I know what he is holding – TT, JJ, QQ, KK, or AA, however, his most likely holding is QQ-AA. I know that so far I have him beat, BUT, there are two more cards to come and my two pair can get counterfeited, so, I just call instead of reraising and letting the possible unfortunate turn or river to screw me. The Turn comes 8, and the BB comes firing with a slight overbet again. I call and the river is a 10. The BB checks and I go all-in. I get called and paid off. And then I get to hear – “you are a lucky idiot” how do you play that crap, you are a looser, and ETC.

Has anyone learned a lesson here???
Old 09-11-2006, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I don’t like about tight players is that you can read them like a book. Here is an example...
I hold 72 off, everyone folds to me on the button, I raise 3 times BB, get re-raised by the BB 2.5 times, I call and the flop comes 2 3 7. The BB comes out firing with a slight overbet. What does this tell me??? From the preflop action and now, I know what he is holding – TT, JJ, QQ, KK, or AA, however, his most likely holding is QQ-AA. I know that so far I have him beat, BUT, there are two more cards to come and my two pair can get counterfeited, so, I just call instead of reraising and letting the possible unfortunate turn or river to screw me. The Turn comes 8, and the BB comes firing with a slight overbet again. I call and the river is a 10. The BB checks and I go all-in. I get called and paid off. And then I get to hear – “you are a lucky idiot” how do you play that crap, you are a looser, and ETC.

Has anyone learned a lesson here???

[/ QUOTE ]

That when you flop well, you're the best on the table?

b
Old 09-11-2006, 05:34 PM

To call a preflop reraise with 72off from a tight player when you know he has a high pair?

Sounds like a winning strategy.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:01 PM

Yeah, because of the position and high implied odds. If you are not willing to risk some money to get paid off, then you are just playing a cards contest. Waaay tooo many players are not able to let go of AA or KK. The board can have a pair, a straight possibility, a flush, and you can bet to represent either hand but will still get called, therefore, when you make a hand that is a better than your opponents pocket pair, you have to bet BIG. To take their money, because they think that AA is unbeatable. Let me aks you a question...

If you are playing a game $200NL, where everyone is sitting there with big stacks and you are on the button with AA, and 4 players went ALL-IN before you and 2 players are left to act - are you going to call???
Old 09-11-2006, 06:15 PM

preflop?