Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 11:30 PM

Default 25/50 Possibly standard hand

25/50 Stud Hi. Ante 5, Bring-in 12.5.

P1 is a very loose pretty terrible player who makes the game. P2 is new to game, seems okay. The game is 4-handed.

I bring in for 12 dollars and 50 cents with (9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], the 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] folds, P1 makes it 25 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], P2 then makes it 50 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] up. I decide to gamboool call the 37 dollars and 50 cents more. P1 calls as well.

4th:
P1: (xx)J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
P2: (xx)Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Me: (9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

P1 bets out, P2 calls, I raise, and they both call.

5th:
P1: (xx)J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
P2: (xx)Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Me: (9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

P1 bets, P2 calls, and I call.

6th:
P1: (xx)J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
P2: (xx)Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Me: (9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

P1 bets, P2 calls, and I call.

7th:
P1: (xx)J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](x)
P2: (xx)Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](x)
Me: (9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img](K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

P1 checks, P2 checks, and I check.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:34 PM

Default Re: 25/50 Possibly standard hand

I think you played this one correctly, although I'd be tempted to value-bet the river.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:35 PM

What would you do differently?

Jeff
Old 09-07-2006, 01:06 AM

I'd bet the river I think, given your description of P1. Though a little more info would be helpful.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:42 AM

Yeah, my main question was whether or not to bet the river. It's pretty clear that P2 has queens up. It's hard to say what P1 has. For some reason I'd expect him to bet trip Jacks or better, but maybe check aces up (which makes no sense if you think about it). It certainly appears (although who knows if P1 knows thinks this) that I'm on a flush draw.

Anyway, I think the river is a bet. I can't imagine getting check/raised here. If someone happens to have kings up beat then so be it, right?
Old 09-10-2006, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, my main question was whether or not to bet the river. It's pretty clear that P2 has queens up. It's hard to say what P1 has. For some reason I'd expect him to bet trip Jacks or better, but maybe check aces up (which makes no sense if you think about it). It certainly appears (although who knows if P1 knows thinks this) that I'm on a flush draw.

Anyway, I think the river is a bet. I can't imagine getting check/raised here. If someone happens to have kings up beat then so be it, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see either player checking to your probably flush draw hoping that you made your hand so that they can raise. It is not a very good play on their part (because you might raise anyway with your flush, letting them get 3 bets), but I have seen lots of players make similar plays.

I think it is a pretty decent value bet because you know that the player with Qs up is going to call, and if you do get check raised it is not too hard to throw away your hand (no one is check raise bluffing in a 3 way pot).

Carlos
Old 09-10-2006, 02:17 AM

i think it's a pretty thin line between a check and a bet... at worst checking loses you one bet; because if you bet and are called by P1 then it sounds like P2 is a good enough player to throw away queens up... If it was me i would check because i'd be very tempted to call a raise with Kings up; but if you're good enough to consistantly make the lay down to a check-raise then i say fire away, definitely a value bet enough of the time to show profit...