Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 01:50 PM

Default NL100: Flop OESD vs PFR.

<font color="green"> I enjoy typing out my thoughts occassionally, so here it goes. Hero probably has TAG image. Villain is a multi-tabler (or at least at 2 out of 3 of my tables) and seems solid. We're the two big stacks, with no one else over $100 and a couple small stacks, so maybe he thinks I'm ok. </font>

Hero $167 on Btn.
Villain $185 in MP.

Hero is dealt: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
NL$100 6-handed.
Folds to MP who raises to $4, folds to Hero who calls $4, folds around.

Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($9.5).
MP bets $8, Hero raises to $22...
<font color="green"> I didn't think I had a loose image, and couldn't remember ever coldcalling prior to this. It's unlikely opponent has a good read on me, since I don't play on this site regularly. This contributed to my making this raise. I figure he'd put me on AK or a set, and that if he had TT-KK, he'd fold. I also considered that he might reraise me, which would suck, but figured it was unlikely, since no obvious draw was on the board. One thought I had was that my flop raise should have been more. Since we had deep stacks, it'd be unlikely that he'd come over the top with AK right? </font>
...Villain calls $16.

Turn is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($53.5)
Checked through.
<font color="green"> I spent a considerable amount of time debating whether or not to bet this, using of all my time. I figured KK improved, and thought maybe I didn't raise enough PF. I didn't think an Ace would fold at this point, but maybe my judgement is wrong here. </font>

River is T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($53.5)
Villain bets $35, Hero raises to $90
<font color="green"> I hit my card, but not the best card. I wanted to get value out of my hand, but wasn't sure whether or not it was worth the risk of getting reraised. Greed prevails, and I raise it an amount that I think he'd call with AK. I definitely thought he wouldn't put me on a set, and would call out of confusion at the least. </font>
Old 09-06-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Re: NL100: Flop OESD vs PFR.

Looks good to me. I'm sure you'll take some heat for playing 97s...although, I love smoothing hands like this when in position. I like raising draws for the simple fact it masks your hand when made, and likely gains some equity. (obv)
Old 09-06-2006, 02:02 PM

Thats a pretty bold re-raise post flop with your 8 outer. (Not counting the runner/runner draw for the flush)

I think it would be safe to put him on AK... Hope that he did not have QJs...
Old 09-06-2006, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks good to me. I'm sure you'll take some heat for playing 97s...although, I love smoothing hands like this when in position. I like raising draws for the simple fact it masks your hand when made, and likely gains some equity. (obv)

[/ QUOTE ]
Well our stacks weren't ridiculously deep, but I thought it was enough. Also I thought it'd be hard for any conscious opponent to put me on this hand, seeing how I'd hardly got out of line.

I wasn't completely sure about my flop raise, but I didn't play this hand to hit such a nice board, then have to pitch it on the turn if I just called the flop. At the very least I wanted to buy a free card. After my opponent calls, he's repping an Ace.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:32 PM

I call 79s every time here, and often with just 100bb stacks.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats a pretty bold re-raise post flop with your 8 outer. (Not counting the runner/runner draw for the flush)

I think it would be safe to put him on AK... Hope that he did not have QJs...

[/ QUOTE ]

its just a raise, not a re-raise. its also not bold, its standard SS, Looks fine to me, i play it the same, although i usually fold preflop unless the opener is someone i really want to play pots with.

EDIT: just noticed stacks, looks good.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, except I like to make this play against the overly loose donk who will likely pay me off and give me the implied odds I need. In this situation, we're up against the solid bigstack. I'm more likely to just fold against him, because I think its less likely he'll pay me off.

I like the flop raise, although its only $14 more into a pot of $25.5, so he's getting pretty good odds to come along (2.8:1 expressed odds).

On the river, I'm too big of a puss to raise. Am I leaving money on the table?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:43 PM

Preflop is usually a fold for me at 100BB stacks, but standard this deep. Postflop looks good.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the river, I'm too big of a puss to raise. Am I leaving money on the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could say, "you're only getting beat when called" here, but I really doubt that you are. I think your raise will be profitable more often than your opponent will hold a made backdoor flush. If the flop contained 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s then it would be a smooth calling situation.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:05 PM

Yea let's hope to get value from AK here.