Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 12:10 PM

Default BBQ Pork - dry rub or sauce? Recipes Please.

I decided to make bbq pork (bone in, of course) for dinner tonight. OOT, please impress upon me the virtues of using either a dry rub or a sauce.

Also, please post your home brew recipies for some butt-kickin' barbecue pork!
Old 09-06-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Re: BBQ Pork - dry rub or sauce? Recipes Please.

kilgore,

I presume you are doing pork butt for pulling or slicing. If so, you probably should have started smoking it last night / early this morning.

A rub is essential and a sauce is irrelevant at this point unless you mean the mop. No rub is simply inconceivable.

J
Old 09-06-2006, 12:20 PM

Not sure if this is a proper place for it, but its a BBQ thread, so: are beef ribs / beef BBQ ever as good as swine BBQ?
Old 09-06-2006, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this is a proper place for it, but its a BBQ thread, so: are beef ribs / beef BBQ ever as good as swine BBQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:25 PM

This was spur of the moment, and I have not purchased the meat yet. Butt is out of the question for the reason you state. Just looking for a fun after-work (i.e. relatively quick) pork bbq meal. I'm leaning toward an indirect wood fire over the firepit. I have some pre-soaked apple wood (was going to use it this past weekend but it rained like crazy) but am open to other cooking methods.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:28 PM

Here is the Good Eats recipe and instructions for pulled pork. It requires a smoker, which you can make on your own if you are industrious, or maybe you already own.

Brine:
8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
12 ounces pickling salt
2 quarts bottled water

6 to 8 pound Boston butt

Rub:
1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
1 teaspoon whole fennel seed
1 teaspoon whole coriander
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon paprika

Combine molasses, pickling salt, and water in 6 quart Lexan. Add Boston butt making sure it is completely submerged in brine, cover, and let sit in refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours. 12 hours is ideal.

Place cumin seed, fennel seed, and coriander in food grinder and grind fine. Transfer to a small mixing bowl and stir in chili powder, onion powder, and paprika.

Remove Boston butt from brine and pat dry. Sift the rub evenly over the shoulder and then pat onto the meat making sure as much of the rub as possible adheres. More rub will adhere to the meat if you are wearing latex gloves during the application.

Preheat smoker to 210 degrees F. Place butt in smoker and cook for 10 to12 hours, maintaining a temperature of 210 degrees F. Begin checking meat for doneness after 10 hours of cooking time. Use fork to check for doneness. Meat is done when it falls apart easily when pulling with a fork. Once done, remove from pot and set aside to rest for at least 1 hour. Pull meat apart with 2 forks and serve as sandwich with coleslaw and dressing as desired.

And here is the Good Eats recipe/instructions for another style of rib that I can personally vouch for and absolutely rules. But it isn't barbecue. You can use just the rub and ignore the braising if you like, but the braise is extremely good.

2 whole slabs pork baby back ribs

Dry Rub:
8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Braising Liquid:
1 cup white wine
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 cloves garlic, chopped

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Place each slab of baby back ribs on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle each side generously with the dry rub. Pat the dry rub into the meat. Refrigerate the ribs for a minimum of 1 hour. In a microwavable container, combine all ingredients for the braising liquid. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Place the ribs on a baking sheet. Open one end of the foil on each slab and pour half of the braising liquid into each foil packet. Tilt the baking sheet in order to equally distribute the braising liquid. Braise the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Transfer the braising liquid into a medium saucepot. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce by half or until of a thick syrup consistency. Brush the glaze onto the ribs. Place under the broiler just until the glaze caramelizes lightly. Slice each slab into 2 rib bone portions. Place the remaining hot glaze into a bowl and toss the rib portions in the glaze.

*This recipe makes several batches of dry rub. If more rub is needed, it can be extended by any amount, as long as the ratio of 8:3:1:1 remains the same.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:29 PM

Use both.

I use this dry rub:

4 parts Paprika
2 parts Sugar
1 part Onion Powder
Optional - to add kick 1/4 part Cheyenne Powder. Only if you like hot. Can add more too if you like it hotter.

Apply 2 - 12 hours before cooking.

In the final 15-30 minutes glaze with favorite sauce. I use Famous Dave's. Never have much luck making my own sauce and haven't found a good homemage recipie I really like.

Also, how are you cooking these? Stuff like this has to be slowed cooked or the meat will be too tough.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:43 PM

Kilgore,

You can't make any kind of BBQ in less than 10 hours. Buy some pulled pork from a restaurant or get some steaks and plan ahead next time. Actually, with the apple wood you have, several nice plump chickens would be fantastic.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:48 PM

I should have mentioned this before. I have a smoker and I understand that I don't have time for proper bbq prep. What I was expecting out of this thread was a decent-tasting wanna-be bbq-flavored recipe that I can prepare in 3-4 hours tops.

I'm as much a bbq snob as anyone, which is why I'm seeking help. Looking for a meal for the Warden and me to enjoy tonight, without planning, without hours of smoke time. Thought maybe I could wing some type of chops or other.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:53 PM

Kilgore,

Chicken.

Baby backs could maybe come in at 5 hours and be ok but that is tight. All other pork cuts are out.

Beef brisket / clod are both definitely out. A rib roast / sirloin could happen but it's likely not what you want.

Fish is also probably not what you want.

J