Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 10:32 AM

Default 15BB Challenges

I've heard some discussion from thread to thread about them. I want some more information.

From what I've determined, you start at some low micro level (w/ how many BBs to start). Once you hit 15BBs (for the next level?), you move up to that level and keep progressing that way.

At what point do you stop, other than losing your initial?
What would this teach me other than what I've already learned?
Do you think this would be useful to me?
How long do these usually take?

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:44 AM

Default Re: 15BB Challenges

I tried a few and they are very challenging.

15 bb entry try to win enough to get to next level 15bb level and see how high you get before 3 hours expires.

Surprisingly it taught me patience. I started out playing maniacal because of the time tightness issue but then started waiting for ways of playing cheaply in big pot positions.

It opened my eyes to some potential payoffs and draws that I routinely folded before.

It taught me that playing a short stack in limit is a absolutely positively moronic thing to do and how to punish players who play on short stacks.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:46 AM

Generally, they start with 15 BBs. Usually it's a pure gambling rush thing, people stop when they bust or they've won enough to satisfy them. If you're fantastically observant and have a great head for statistics it might teach you something about the importance of variance on short-term results or the importance of maintaining a proper bankroll. But most likely, what you'll learn is that either it's great to run g00t or it sucks to run bad.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:47 AM

I gathered that you started with 15BB at x/x level and moved up as soon as you had 15 for the next available level. Stop at BUSTO or x hours...I do it one Friday a month for a three hour time limit.

Good for getting your gamble on...Fun to end up two-three levels above your normal game...bad to end up there and then BUSTO.

Teach you? The ways of prop betting perhaps...i.e. "Hey Befolder, let's do a 15BB challenge next Friday for three hours...loser owes the winner $20."
Old 09-06-2006, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It taught me that playing a short stack in limit is a absolutely positively moronic thing to do and how to punish players who play on short stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smurph? A little OT here, but what do you normally sit with? And why "moronic"?

I ask because I rarely sit with much more than the starting requirements for the 15 BB Challenge. Not to say I won't bring more if needed but I never feel comfortable with dragging a ton to the table, and guys that sit-in with 2, 3, 400 BB strike me as odd.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Smurph? A little OT here, but what do you normally sit with? And why "moronic"?

I ask because I rarely sit with much more than the starting requirements for the 15 BB Challenge. Not to say I won't bring more if needed but I never feel comfortable with dragging a ton to the table, and guys that sit-in with 2, 3, 400 BB strike me as odd.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I ever have too few bets to put into a pot I have a lock on (thus all in), then I consider it a grave mistake by me.

I narrowly avoided this on Sunday night at a home game with friends. We all bought in for about $20 and after about an hour, I was down to $5. I just couldn't catch any cards. I decided to buy in for another $20 at that point because if I got a hand, I wanted to be able to make more than my $5 on the hand.

Three hands later, I struck gold and took down the big pot of the night for about $40 or $50.

I consider it a poker sin to play short stacked if you don't have to for that reason.

Somebody once put a number of BBs to it when you should reload at a table if you plan on staying. Sometimes the best tables can have you stuck for a while because the suckouts are brutal. I always try and reload before I get a hand that puts me all in. You lose some value there.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:03 AM

Start at 15bb at any level you wish, move up when you have made enough to be able to sit down at the next level for 15bb.

The idea is to allow you to try new higher levels without throwing a hole in your bankroll.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:11 PM

I haven't seen anyone say anything about this, but when I go up 15BB and move up... if I lose enough to be at the starting requirements of the previous level I drop down and start again.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:14 PM

That's one way to do it. Some people just decide to go big or go BUSTO, refusing to move down.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's one way to do it. Some people just decide to go big or go BUSTO, refusing to move down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the HIV 18.5BB Challenge.