Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 01:49 AM

Default 1/3 nl live, preflop sqeeuze, postflop combo draw

I was 8 handed playing 1/3 nl live. Villain is a guy in his mid 20s named JR. The night before I saw JR raise min preflop and then get it all in on a flop of QQ8 to get stacked by a Q. I didn't sit with him that night, just saw the hand happen.

He has shown down two hands tonight in the 2 or 3 orbits he has been sitting. The first of which he calls a raise from MP. They go 4 way to the flop which is KJT rainbow. PFR leads for about 2/3 pot. JR thinks and says "Man I wonder if my K is good here. I guess I have to find out" and calls. Both people behind call. Turn is 7. PFR checks, JR bets 30 gets everyone to call and then bets 40 on the blank river and everyone calls and he shows down AQ and beats 89, KT, and JT.

The 2nd hand someone raised preflop with KK, he called. Flop is Axx. He fires 4 dollars on every street and KK pays of his A3 (No 3 on board).

My image in this game is exetremely nitty and people constantly comment on it (which is me playing about 15/9). After I have established this image for a few hours I open up a bit and steal some pots. It actually works in this game too. Here is an interesting spot:

8 handed. Apparently I only had 220ish in front of me. I never am below the max buyin online, but seem to struggle with this live. I feel weird asking to add 20 more bucks to my stack over and over, but this is a situation where I should have added to my stack by now. JR is the only person who has me covered at the table though, no one else other than me bought in over 200 as this is normally a 1/2 game (No I am not sure why it was 1/3 on this night). Anyway, JR straddles to 6. UTG and UTG+1 both call and both love to limp in. I decide this is a decent spot to come in for a raise and pick up pot. I make it 35 to go with Jc8c. Folds around to guy on the button who puts out his 22 dollars total for an all in. Folds to JR who says "Oh I actually have something. How much is it? Okay I call." The limpers fold.

Flop: 9cTs3d (pot 108)

He leads into me for 20. I think for a moment and decide to call. Arguments for raising here?

Turn comes 4c to give me FD as well.

Turn: 9cTs3d4c (pot 148)

He bets 20 again. I think for a moment and move all in for 140 more. JR covers.

Thoughts?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:05 AM

Default Re: 1/3 nl live, preflop sqeeuze, postflop combo draw

the guy is obvoiusly a horrible player, i mean horrible. I would think twice before bluffing or semi bluffing. The pot was so huge you were getting INSANE odds to take off a free card and try to hit. I think you just gotta call, becuase he probabaly can't even fold top pair here. He might not even fold midpair, the guy is a bad player, never bluff an idiot.

you were offered enormous odds to hit your draw, 8.5-1, just take it, try to hit.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:09 AM

NOT TO MENTION you're bluffing into a semi dry sidepot, I think it was a horrible play.

YOu have to show down your hand, that guy who went all in could still take 84 dollars of that pot with queen high... you bluffed 140 to only for sure win 84 dollars something likle that, my math may be a little off. Basically you blufed a draw on the turn to take down half the pot, just not a good idea.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:18 AM

You KNOW that calling to hit your draw is +ev.

Raising, you aren't sure about.

Why would you pass up a "sure good thing" for door #2?