Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 09:15 AM

Default 50 NL - Strong hands facing a huge push (1st ever post)

Ok this is my first post so sorry if the converter messes up. Ive posted 2 hands where i face a massive overbet push on fairly dry boards.

Hand 1

Ok as you can see by me raising 72o i have loosened up on this table because everyone was pretty tight and up until this hand i had raised quite a few times in the last few orbits with very little contest so my raise was just an effort to generate some action which it obvioulsy did lol. Villian seems pretty tight and solid except for one time i saw him go ultra aggro and pushed with just a straight draw against a couple of shortish stacks where he had no FE or odds.

Anyway, am i way ahead of his range here and is folding too weak tight because there is a chance he is making a very donkish play on me due to my recent aggressive nature, or should i wait for a better spot seeing as there is no money in the pot?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Button ($64.40)</font>
SB ($61.15)
BB ($8.75)
UTG ($47.95)
MP ($53.90)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($52.75)</font>

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $4, Button raises to $62.70 and is all in, Hero??

Hand 2

No reads on villain as only played a few hands with him so far. After his flop call and turn check i put him on a jack or 9s/10s and continued value betting. Again, is it too weak tight to fold here if he thinks he is making a move on my missed ak/aq or is a set more likely. Felt he would try to extract more value as the board isn't very scary for him although i have represented strength all the way so maybe he feels he can stack me.
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($52)
UTG ($50.75)
MP ($6.47)
Hero ($49.25)
SB ($107.20)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $2, MP folds.

Flop: ($5.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, BB calls $5.

Turn: ($15.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks,Hero bets $10, BB raises to $44.50 and is all in, Hero??

Hope this post is ok.

PS could someone help me with converting hands where someone pushes all in because it does not seem to be registering either of these pushes and i have had to enter them manually.

Thanks and sorry for the long post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:26 AM

Default Re: 50 NL - Strong hands facing a huge push (1st ever post)

Hand 1 - WTF are you doing preflop?? I don't know, call the flop. I have no idea what that big overbet means.

Hand 2 - The Baluga theorem indicates a fold.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:28 AM

Whats the Baluga theorem?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:30 AM

I'd say call 1 hand and fold the second one. Fold preflop in the first one too [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2006, 09:30 AM

the so-called Baluga Theorem

Maybe I should've said instead that The Baluga Theorem indicates a fold, but I don't know whether I would.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:32 AM

Hand 1. You raised preflop, bet the flop. You could easily have a big pair, yet he pushes into a small pot. I think he has a set more than an overpair or air, so fold.

Hand 2. I think this is a fairly clear fold. You have raised, bet ,bet again and yet he raises you on the turn. One pair is usually no good here IMO.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if he thinks he is making a move on my missed ak/aq

[/ QUOTE ]
If he thought you had AK/AQ and he had a pair or better, he'd continue letting you bluff at it. I don't think any sane player makes a move here with Q/T high.

If villain is decent I check behind turn, if he's bad I valuebet and call a push, which is a weak J very often.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:38 AM

1. preflop insta muck for me -I understand your reasons but this is from a tight player - BTW if you've been stealing the last couple times- isn't it time to switch to great hands for a while -whilst they're thinking you're playing weaker hands.

Onto the hand - I put into pokerstove his maximum likely range as TT+,set or str8 draw and it gives you 66%/33% equity. I think it depends as you say if he's trying to end the stealing or has a set( given he hasn't called much PP's are most of his coldcalling range I guess)

He could be fed up with your stealing and pushed with an overpair - i think he has AA-TT/ set -though a str8draw is possible based on your info. I fold and wait for a better spot wait a few orbits then continue pounding him with steals.

2. fold my AA 1 pair to a turn shove - he could have set/raggedy 2 pair - we only beat KK and QQ. With a read I can call but in general fold.

Calling big allin shove/overbets in general I'm not fond of without near nuts/good read. Hope this helps.

I use this convertor: http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter/

I'm so slowing at replyingt o threads - there were none when I started and now there's five. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2006, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if he thinks he is making a move on my missed ak/aq

[/ QUOTE ]
If he thought you had AK/AQ and he had a pair or better, he'd continue letting you bluff at it. I don't think any sane player makes a move here with Q/T high.

If villain is decent I check behind turn, if he's bad I valuebet and call a push, which is a weak J very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my reasoning behind the value bet. A good player would probably have put a raise in on the flop or lead the turn with a set to build a pot although even good players trap i guess. His check raise did have me puzzled although i wasn't 100% convinced he had me beat, maybe id seen something in the limited number of hands he'd played previously.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:45 AM

Call first one, lean towards folding the second one.

But for hand #1, don't try to be cute with 72o... just fold it.