Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 03:04 PM

Default Low Pairs + Dead Money =

Hi folks, a friend of mine posted a hand he played yesterday, both to another discussion board, and to an IRC chat. I am not 100% sure of the stakes, because he didn't specify... I think the hand is interesting regardless of that, though, and I'd like to open it up here and see what some of the STT whizzes think.

15/30 level, all players are >1300 TC, except for our hero, who has 960.

Hero is UTG+1 with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG folds, Hero limps, 1 Fold, 1 Limp, MP raises to 120, Button Calls, SB calls, BB calls, <u>Hero is All In for 960</u> ...

We all know the basic idea behind this sort of play. It generated a lot of heat discussion, and I think it's good to get some more opinions.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Low Pairs + Dead Money =

i don't understand the all-in

it's a lose-lose if someone calls you bc you're most likely getting called w/ a superior pair... best case you're facing a coinflip...

and seems like you put in 930 more chips for a 210 chip pot?... i guess i just don't understand the motivation here... seems like an easy fold to me
Old 01-25-2006, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't understand the all-in

it's a lose-lose if someone calls you bc you're most likely getting called w/ a superior pair... best case you're facing a coinflip...

and seems like you put in 930 more chips for a 210 chip pot?... i guess i just don't understand the motivation here... seems like an easy fold to me

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the pot is around half of Hero's stack...not saying I like the play, but it aint awful...(given hero open limped there may be credit given)
Old 01-25-2006, 03:26 PM

I'll go a step further...yuck.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:30 PM

MP raised 4BB with 2 limpers in front, so either he has a big hand, or he is a donk. Either way he is calling. Hero is 50/50 at best, I don't see any reason to make this move. If for some reason you think you have some fold equity it isn't horrible, but I think it would be tough to have that read here.