Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2006, 05:16 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default Just Keep Folding

Party 15/30, full game.

I open UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], button coldcalls. He's an unknown haven't seen him doing anything and don't have stats. The big blinds calls but he folds on the flop.

Flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet, button raises, BB folds, I call.

Turn is 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check, button bets, I raise, button calls.

River is a 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet, button raises, I fold.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Just Keep Folding

looks good to me... i only like calling the river if he's a constant bluffer
Old 09-04-2006, 10:46 AM

it's probably right once he pops the river. that said, vs. unknowns i want to see a SD here, as his flop raise likely means he doesn't have a jack.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's probably right once he pops the river. that said, vs. unknowns i want to see a SD here, as his flop raise likely means he doesn't have a jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

i misread the flop action. that makes it a lot closer. i think i have to agree with pooperbob, but the EV can't be far above zero.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:04 PM

The way you played it, the river fold is fine. But after the flop raise, your hand is very much WA/WB. The fact that he didn't 3-bet preflop means he doesn't have AK, so at most he has one over to your QQ. He has 3 outs or you have 2.

Just check-call down to let him bluff off his medium pair (you had to put him on that hand after he cold-called in LP and raised a paired flop, right?).
Old 09-04-2006, 07:28 PM

Unknown = Call river.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:40 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

PJ,

Yes, that's why I checkraised the turn because people are paying off a ton there with middle pairs. After he coldcalls preflop, raises the flop, just calls the turn, and raises the river, what can he have but 77?
Old 09-04-2006, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PJ,

Yes, that's why I checkraised the turn because people are paying off a ton there with middle pairs. After he coldcalls preflop, raises the flop, just calls the turn, and raises the river, what can he have but 77?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you that based on the logic of this hand you are [censored]. But this is still partypoker and this is still an unknown. I believe your get crying call getting over 11-1 will be profitable in the long run.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:12 AM

I def call this river raise against an unknown player - many people will feel they have value raising something like tens here "because they can't reraise me unless they have a lock." Or they might bluff occasionally. Or they have 8's full. Either way, I'm going to call this river raise with no other info on this guy. In a live game, I could see finding a fold much more easily against typical players.

Jeff
Old 09-05-2006, 03:32 AM

If you are going to fold to a raise why would you ever bet the river? Seems to me that you have enough hand to take it to show down, especially against an unknown. You need to provide some logic for your actions. I understand that you figure since he has enough hand to call a raise and then raise you on the end that you are probably beat (however, some discounting is needed b/c it is an online hand vs live hand), but why would you allow so many chips to go into the pot when you have a hand that you should show down?

Bottom line is if you are folding to a raise on the end... why bet? Don't allow yourself to be played out of the pot.