Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2006, 11:51 AM

Default Table Selection

I've been playing online alot lately. Saving me the gas money on that trip to A.C. Any ways, I was wondering about table selection online. Whats a good process for it? What to look for? I mainly play 50NL on party. Also, does table selection have as much meaning? People get up and down so fast that a table can change in a few hands. Is it important to keep switching to better tables? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Table Selection

At 50NL I'd say there's always a fish. Still why not sit at a table where there are more fishies?

You can do table selection in different ways.

- Add bad players to your buddylist and look them up before you start to play.
- You can datamine the games and overlay the statistics of each player on the table. This is done with Poker Tracker, Poker Ace HUD and Free Party Hand Grabber
- Use a program designed for that. The ones I know are sixth sense and party table scan. Go to Software forum to find out more.

Now you want to look for people that
- play too many hands
- go to far with hands
- are predictable

So basically that's it coz I have run out material.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:39 PM

What I do is find players who are horrible, and fishy, and I keep a list. If i see that they are sitting at a table I will jump right in and let them lose there money to me.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing online alot lately. Saving me the gas money on that trip to A.C. Any ways, I was wondering about table selection online. Whats a good process for it? What to look for? I mainly play 50NL on party. Also, does table selection have as much meaning? People get up and down so fast that a table can change in a few hands. Is it important to keep switching to better tables? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Table selection is -extremely- meaningful in terms of your win rate and your overall edge against the table.

At the 50NL level, you will have plenty of fish to play against on a regular basis. As you move up, the fish become more scarce, and software can be used to automate the process of table selection for you.

Check out the software forums.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:37 PM

I find the same problem. Most of the table will turn over within 50 hands. I will spend some time looking for a suitable table and usually stay and complete my session (1.5-2 hrs), unless the table becomes very tough. In that case, I will either look for another table or quit early.

I don't think that continually looking for the 'grass is greener' approach and constantly moving is effective.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:00 AM

One thing to consider is the mode you are in.

Specifically, if you have an eye towards improving as a player and moving up levels, you might find it advantageous to stick to a table and work on recognition of changing conditions and how best to exploit them. It may turn out to be a situation in which you sacrifice a little in the short term to profit more in the long term (which seems to be a recurring theme in a lot of the 2+2 books).

If however your main emphasis at the moment (or in general) is to maximize profits, then you want to be playing at tables where you have the best of it.

[I'm not saying that it shouldn't be a goal to play at tables where you have the best of it, as a general rule, but I am saying that at certain times it may not be convenient a/o possible a/o politically correct to jump ship when the conditions change and that being profitable across the board (condition-wise) might be the option with the best expectation.]