Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2006, 10:53 AM

Default A part of my game Im not sure what to do about.

Im hoping you guys can just help or reassure me with something.

I hit a flop hard, eg. a set and the board has clear drawing potential. When acting first, or sometimes when not, I often take these pots down by simply not giving my opponents the odds to draw out on me.

While this is all well and good, I find more often than not that I may have been able to make a lot more on the hand as my opponent(s) were not drawing, but had just hit the flop slightly weaker than me.

Is what Im doing perfectly ok or is there a way I can improve my play to maximise my profit in this situation?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-01-2006, 10:57 AM

Default Re: A part of my game Im not sure what to do about.

[ QUOTE ]

I hit a flop hard, eg. a set and the board has clear drawing potential. When acting first, or sometimes when not, I often take these pots down by simply not giving my opponents the odds to draw out on me.

While this is all well and good, I find more often than not that I may have been able to make a lot more on the hand as my opponent(s) were not drawing, but had just hit the flop slightly weaker than me.

Is what Im doing perfectly ok or is there a way I can improve my play to maximise my profit in this situation?

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

The single biggest mistake SS NL players make is calling too much.

The best way to take advantage of this is to betbetbet. Don't be afraid that your opponent is going to fold, chances are if he has any kind of hand or draw he will call, because that is what they do.

I imagine your recent results are skewing your opinion, stay the course.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:59 AM

Playing small stakes you'll make more from overcharging the hell out of people who will draw anyway than you will from playing marginal poker by trying to get everyone in. Also, consider the times when he's not even drawing but just can't let go of top pair to a PSB on any street.

Eg You have 88 on the button and raise a lone limper to 5BB and he calls.

Flop comes K82 (with 2 diamonds) then the betting goes check, pot, call, blank card, check, pot, call, blank card, check, pot, call and he shows you KQo.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

The best way to take advantage of this is to betbetbet. Don't be afraid that your opponent is going to fold, chances are if he has any kind of hand or draw he will call, because that is what they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for response, my recent results are fine but Im always looking to improve and was wondering whether Im missing out on profit.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for response, my recent results are fine but Im always looking to improve and was wondering whether Im missing out on profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't referring to wins/losses, but rather you've likely run into an unusually large number of situations in which you've flopped well and it's been folded around to a PSB.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:26 AM

Cobra, make sure you are evaluating the drawing potential of the hands out there correctly. Don't automatically go "oooooh I must charge the flush" and pot. Keep this in mind: HU your opponent is not always on the flush draw, but could be on other hands such as mid pair or a weak TP or even a gutshot. You don't want these hands to fold.

Think about your opponents hand range. If your opponent is not extremely fish and if midpairs and gutshots make sense as part of his range, betting 2/3 pot encourages those hands to call while keeping the pot small.

On a board with two tone and/or multiple OESD draws, or multiple villains, potting it is fine, and necessary. And of course never make this play with a dominated hand.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, taking it all on board.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:00 PM

Little help for a newbie...PSB?
Old 09-01-2006, 01:03 PM

pot sized bet.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:22 PM

Ah, ok, thanks. I'm showing my colors as a limit player.