Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 11:50 PM

Default Good Place to Check Raise??? (and check raising in general)

This post is about the check raising. IMO check raising tells every1 that u have a good hand. Because of this I hate doing it with my really good hands, instead I just like playing it simple and betting out. So I am interested in what other people here think about check raising.
I would like to know if ya’ll think check raising top pair type hands would be more profitable than just betting out in some loose aggressive situations, and also I think it gives u a lot of info on other ppl’s hands.

Here is the hand that got me thinking about this (from B&M game):

Game is wild and donkish, 9 players, most people just playing for fun.
1 / 2 blinds I have $160 everyone has me covered
I hold A9 in SB

Pre-f:
2 players limp, I complete, BB checks
Flop:
2 5 9 rainbow
I decide to check raise here because this game is so wild that its hard to put ppl on hands and most love bluffing and betting bottom pair/junk hands. If I bet I felt that I would get called and not no wtf they were holding and the instant I check the turn or river they were going to fire out big bets. The guy on button was the craziest of all and I felt that he wouldn’t be able to resist betting if it got checked to him. I had a tight image so I felt that if som1 stayed in after my check raise I could be pretty sure som1 wasn’t just messing around.

Anyway... what do you think of this situation and of check raising in general?
Old 08-31-2006, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Good Place to Check Raise???

Bet and let bad players peel. Check the turn and let bad players try and bluff you. Win money
Old 09-01-2006, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Good Place to Check Raise??? (and check raising in general)

I don't think that's a bad decision at all in this spot. The value of the C/R is based on the situation. The game you described, i think the C/R is good because you'll probably get a single bluff from one player, and then you can scoop the pot with ur C/R. You obviously don't want to see this kinda hand to a showdown with a table full of maniacs. In other situations, C/R with top pair can get you in trouble, because so often you're outkicked, or you let draws take off cards on you. I'm sure you know all this already, but I'm kinda brainstorming here. Imo C/R should be used much less often than it usually is. I like leading and 3-betting with draws more than i do C/R. If I read a LAG for a draw though, I'll definitely C/R him because he'll lead with any draw and you'll usually be able to get them to commit way too much money with said draw. Oh well, this post came out way too rambly, hope it helped in some way though. imo its definitely the play of choice at ur given situation btw
Old 09-01-2006, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Good Place to Check Raise??? (and check raising in general)

arturius - what happens when i bet 2/3 pot and get 2 callers and k,q,j comes on turn?
slayer - ty for taking time to answer the post it was helpful and i agree that c/r is used too often in the wrong situations