Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 10:31 AM

Default How can I find out who own the other half of my duplex?

I live in this duplex (I own half of it,) and my neighbor got divorced and moved out more than a year ago. The place is somewhat getting boarded up now.

It went on foreclosure, but I don't think anyone bought it on the auction day, as I haven't seen a single person in/around the house. My guess is some bank owns it, but I don't know how to find it out.

So I need your help. I want to buy this property. What's my move?

Soh
Old 08-31-2006, 10:41 AM

Default Re: How can I find out who own the other half of my duplex?

[ QUOTE ]
I live in this duplex (I own half of it,) and my neighbor got divorced and moved out more than a year ago. The place is somewhat getting boarded up now.

It went on foreclosure, but I don't think anyone bought it on the auction day, as I haven't seen a single person in/around the house. My guess is some bank owns it, but I don't know how to find it out.

So I need your help. I want to buy this property. What's my move?

Soh

[/ QUOTE ]

What county/state is it located in?

You can usually go down to the county recorder's office and see everything that is on title. If you know anyone in real estate (in your state) they can usually pull what's called a property profile from a title company and it will show you what has been recorded (including a notice of default, foreclosure, etc..).

Also, is there a HOA? If so, then you might try that route.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You can usually go down to the county recorder's office and see everything that is on title. If you know anyone in real estate (in your state) they can usually pull what's called a property profile from a title company and it will show you what has been recorded (including a notice of default, foreclosure, etc..).

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of place put this information on state or county websites now. Here in MD I can pull up all sorts of stuff through local and state govt websites.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:53 AM

First thing I'd do is look for the foreclosure notice probably nailed to the door somewhere, it will probably have the name of the bank on it. If not that, yeah, county registry of deeds, no prahlum.

NT
Old 08-31-2006, 11:50 AM

as other posters mentioned, it varies from state to state and county to county how business is done.

in my county if no one buys it after foreclosure, you can roll into the tax office and pay the exact amount that is owed on the home to the bank owed + taxes.

you can find out what happened at auction and if and how much it was sold for by website as people mentioned.

for instance here's my county's site: here

btw i googled: 'travis county auction' and it was my first hit.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:37 PM

Default ***UPDATE***

I went to the court house, and after walking around from builkidng to building, I finally found out that no one bought it on the auction date. Bank/mortgage lender owns is, but there's zero equity, so I don't think I can buy it.

however...

What the hell, I got nothing to lose, so I made a super-low ball offer.

Let's see how it goes.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:19 PM

Default Re: ***UPDATE***

Soh,

If the bank isn't willing to take a loss and accept your offer, and since it failed to auction, then they will probably list it with a realtor. Now of course the important thing with a house/duplex is the neighborhood it's in. But you are the neighborhood as it were and don't have to look like a good neighbor. So if the balk at your offer and do indeed list it, then act like white trash. Leave litter in the yard and don't mow but once a month. Get a friend to park some old clunker in the yard. Borrow a mean dog to chain to the front porch. Then unless someone with a lot of fortitude buys it, make your offer again after it has sat there for six months. They aren't in the business of owning property so they will take a loss if they have to, it's just a matter of when.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:09 AM

Default Re: ***UPDATE***

Thanks.

My guess is the bank will fix it up and sell it or just list with a realtor.

I pretty much don't have to do anything cause the house looks bad already.

From what I know around here, they usually list with the right price. In other words, if the house is worth $150k and costs $20k to fix it up, it'll be listed for $130k. If it doesn't sell, it'll be listed for a long, long time. The price won't drop much.

I'm hoping this could change as the number of foreclosures are increasing, and houses aren't selling as fast as it used to be.