Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 07:36 AM

Default Poker content from yvesaint in the well *long*

I’ve tried to keep the same format as Dory has used – the order w.r.t the questions were asked has changed slightly to group some similar questions.

Merci yvesaint.

<font color="blue"> What are the biggest areas you think SSNL players need to improve before moving up to MSNL?
</font>
Value betting and using reads.
<font color="blue">
What, in your opinion, is the best way for a SSNL player to become a winning MSNL and higher player (i.e. study more?, play more? etc.)?
</font>
best way imo is to play as many hands as you can and read lots of pertinent threads
<font color="blue">
What studylay ratio would you advice for people who want to get up in lvl/skill asap?
</font>
1:5
<font color="blue">
If you remember off hand, can you give an example of a hand in which you felt it was necessary to slow play?
</font>
ill slowplay if i have a very strong hand that needs someone to hit a second best on a dry board. its real obvious when you should - like you raise AA, someone in BB repops you, you call, flop comes A92....you slowplay that sht.
<font color="blue">
You raise AA from MP and the BB reraises. What factors do you consider in deciding wether to repop or just call?
</font>
with 100 bb stacks i almost never repop AA in that situation.
<font color="blue">
How do you respond if you just donked off 2-3 buyins with obvious bad play?
</font>
the night doesnt end til im in the green baby!!
<font color="blue">
At what time do you experience the partypoker games to be most soft?
</font>
8 pm - 11 pm, 7 am - 11 am
<font color="blue">
If you try to improve your game, and not grind some cash, how many tables would you advice to play at once?
</font>
<font color="blue">
Do you call +50bb with QQ vs. an unknown villain either pre-flop or on a dry board?
</font>
really depends on the action, but post flop, sure
<font color="blue">
Do you split sessions, like 5x45min with 15 min rest in between. Or do you play like 3 hours continuous?
</font>
3 hours continuous. no rest for the wicked
<font color="blue">
You've mentioned in the past that you generally raise or fold, which gives you an aggression factor of like eleventy. Do you find more opponents floating and making moves on you the higher up you play, especially considering your style?
</font>
yes in general people like to float me. the key is noticing who's doing it, and counteract accordingly. fire more double barrels. c/r the turn with both made hands and draws. etc.
<font color="blue">
Are you an extensive note-taker?</font>
i wish i was. but i have a sharp memory
<font color="blue">
Does variance increase with each level you move to? The reason I ask is that I assume the aggression will rise along with the levels.</font> yes
<font color="blue">
What do you think causes most SSNLers to gravitate their play toward the weak-tight side?
</font>
i think ray zee had a great article on the progression of a poker player. one of the steps was once the player learned that playing tighter was generally better, it led to weak-tight play. this is the first step of most players - they realize playing tight is good, but dont realize that stepping up your aggression is even better
[This article I believe Ray Zee's 'The Different Stages in a Player's Life' ]

also, psychologically, everyone is risk adverse. you have to lose that to become a good player

<font color="blue">
The pros and cons of open limping are........
</font>
pros: you get to look like a donkey
cons: you give up initiative, limp-calling pf sucks as youll be OOP in a raised pot w/o the initiative, an unraised pot is never an easy way to stack someone, etc. etc.
<font color="blue">
Have you ever folded KK pre flop in a cash game for 100BB's or less?</font>
i cant recall a situation where ive folded KK pf for &lt;100bbs. the games i play in are usually so aggro that a KK pf fold is disastrously -EV.
<font color="blue">
I will fold KK pre-flop when .........
</font>
id fold KK pf if a total nit rereraised me. or if a solid player limp-reraised me after i reraised someone else. i dunno. depends.
<font color="blue">
What do you need from a player to bet strong the three streets with just TPTK (or good kicker)? (I mean your minimum requirements)
</font>

if hes check-calling me the whole way down, i will usually fire all three streets with TPTK. most players are passive. especially on an A-high board, these dudes will never fold an Ace
<font color="blue">
whats the biggest difference between MSNL and SSNL?
</font>
biggest difference between MSNL/SSNL? the size of the field. theres a lot more regulars once you hit 200 nl + especially since more people are multitabling too
<font color="blue">
what should we SSNL players be focusing on so they can kill SSNL?
</font>
you should be focusing on value betting imo
<font color="blue">
how important is shania in SSNL?
</font>
shania is far less important in SSNL. dont take -EV plays because of "shania".
<font color="blue">
i am a limit player coming over to NL. how important are handranges and your equity against these ranges given your holding, the board, etc. in NL? do you use handranges to guesstimate avg outs against you to give draws just the right price to draw unprofitably?
</font>
definitely use hand ranges in NL. a limit background helps with this. like if you have overs + flush draws, you might put villain on a range that lets your overs be outs as well
<font color="blue">
Do you ever 4 bet the button?
</font>
not too often, but i have
<font color="blue">
Under what circumstances is an overbet the right play?
</font>
i like to use the overbet if im deep stacked v. a donk and i want to build a pot NOW.
<font color="blue">
Suppose you have a marginal made hand in a multiway pot. Your hand is very likely to be best right now, but you are very vulnerable becasue your hand is marginal (say bottom 2), the board is very coordinated, and there are many players. Is this a good time or a bad time for an overbet? Suppose the overbet will not commit anyone, you are on the SB, and nobody raised PF.
</font>
i dont like to overbet here. just bet out. id do the same w/draws etc.

<font color="blue">
What sorts of adjustments should be made to account for a bad (postflop) LAG? For a good (postflop) LAG?
</font>
a bad postflop lag? i like to play a little more passively v. these dudes, let them bluff, let them hang themselves etc. etc.

a good postflop lag? get on his left, play far more hands in position than out of position with him. reraise him more in position pf
<font color="blue">
How do u deal with tilt, ie. you just got stacked on 3 tables by a donk within 5 minutes?
</font>
dealing with tilt? if the donk is still at te table, i definitely stay. ill probably knock off 2-3 tables and concentrate harder.
<font color="blue">
With your stats, I'm wondering what conditions prompt you to play SCs.

1. You're on the button with 7h6h, UTG raises 4x, call, call, and you...?
2. You're on the button with 7h6h, folds to CO, CO limps, and you...?
3. You're CO with 7h6h, one limp to you, and you...?
</font>
call, raise, raise. every time.
<font color="blue">
How about the same with suited gappers? Two gappers?
</font>
i fold most suited two gappers, unless i have reads on the limpers as being predictable/weak/passive/etc.

ill call most suited gappers in situation 1, J9s and down to 75s. as for the other two situtions, still dependent, but ill prob raise J9s-86

<font color="blue">
You stated that your stats are 16/12. So what is ur range assuming you dont limp for a raise UTG? UTG+1?

What is your re-raise range against a donk/LAG in position?

What do u call with/raise with ont OTB in a raised/limped pot( outside of anystrong reads and in general)?
</font>
i dont want to get too much into this, but in general my raising range in position is farrr greater than my raising range OOP.

however UTG i will raise in general AA-22, AKo-ATo, AKs-A7s, suited broadways, sometimes offsuit broadways, sometimes suited connectors.

my range UTG will actually become fairly large if there are big donks in the blinds - it allows me to "isolate" them far easier, as people behind me put me on a better hand than i actually have.

example: huge calling station in BB. i raise T9s UTG, tag 2p2 calls on button, calling station calls in BB.

flop K95. BB checks, i bet, button folds something like TT, and i get to go HU against calling station who calls me down w/something dumb like 66/A5/JT
<font color="blue">
What do you do about C-Bets? How often to you C-bet OOP and with position? What factors do you take into account
</font>
i c-bet probably 95% of the time as default. this number will go up or down depending on board texture, position, and who im up against. this is only heads up of course
<font color="blue">
How do you decide that Villain X is a prime candidate for floating? Are there particular PT stats that help you make such a determination?
</font>
how predictable he is. basically a guy who always c-bets, rarely 2nd barrels, etc.
<font color="blue">
400NL. You are on the button, good slightly loose aggro player is in the BB. He has reraised you PF a few times, but you don't yet have a great idea of his range other than that it is definitely wider than AK, AA/KK.

Folded to you on button, you raise to $14, villain in BB reraises to $44. Effective stacks $400. What is your action (and general postflop plan if you're not folding) with:

1. QQ
2. TT
3. 55
4. 78s
5. AKo
6. AQo
7. AJs
</font>
man i dont want to write out a huge detailed post about this. im more likely to call with pps, SCs, and less likely to call with stuff like AJs/AQo.
<font color="blue">
Do you think that opponents who chase draws without odds (calling down two streets with a normal draw) are similar to opponents who call down with underpairs?

Do you make a difference between them?
</font>
usually people who do 2 also do 1. its not the same the other way aroudn though. people who do 2 usually arent thinking - except for "you have AK and missed duh".
<font color="blue">
Don't go broke with top pair ! is a) Good advice b) Way overrated advice ?
</font>
way too general advice. some of my biggest pots have been won w/top pair, and ive folded top pair to one bet before
<font color="blue">
I recently posted that the best hands for re-steals on the blinds are medium suited connectors unlikely to be dominated by calling hands (say, 98s to 45s) and middle pairs. Do you agree, disagree or have anything else to say on this? I'm not really counting things like AA becasue I wouldn't consider those to be re-steals.
</font>
Also, aside from re-steals and straight value bets with premium hands, are there any other times to re-raise preflop?

OOP, i love to resteal with suited connectors/etc. they can hit flops fairly well, and if stack sizes permit, allow you to bet/3bet easily as well. middle pairs i am less inclined to resteal because i just think in most situations, set value is just too great. in position though i think reraising hands like 77+ can be very profitable

as for other situations...squeeze plays, isolating donks, etc. all can be other reasons to reraise
<font color="blue">
Betting pot with a flushdraw OOP on flop in a headsup pot is good ??
</font>
Betting pot with a flushdraw OOP on flop in a threeway pot is good ??
Betting pot with a flushdraw OOP on flop in a multiway pot is good ??

If good, what to do when turn bricks ?

it really depends on the preflop action. are you PFR or not? betting into the PFR really depends on who he is - sometimes i do it with draws, sometimes with sets, sometimes with weak made hands.

what i DO like to do is in multiway pots, especially unraised pots v. passives, is to bet nut draws. its a lot easier to stack other draws that way

on the turn i usually check unless a good scare card appears
<font color="blue">
If u were a noob and reading the post in these "well" post, what would u be focusing on or absorbing to better your game?
</font>
id be focusing on how the player plays - not actual specific hand strategy like "oh what would you do in this situation", but on more general stuff that i could improve on. how to get reads, how to value bet, whatever, etc.

id be focusing on how the player plays - not actual specific hand strategy like "oh what would you do in this situation", but on more general stuff that i could improve on. how to get reads, how to value bet, whatever, etc.
<font color="blue">
Can you talk a little more about how to get reads? What sorts of things do you think most newbies do decently with respect to reads, and what sorts of things do you think would help them the most? What about not-so-newbies who are decent players at ~$100NL or so, but not good enough to play $400NL?
</font>
most important is watching a few things

-what people raise with and from what positions
-what people reraies with and from what positions
-what people bet with as opposed to c/r with
-what people go to showdown with

easiest way is to watch not only hands you play with people, but hands they play with others. consider dropping a few tables to get better reads - you dont need to pay attention like CRAZY but the more you know, the better you can play
Do you use a hud, and if so, how much do you rely on it?
i used to use a hud. it was fun to toy around with - the most useful numbers were VPIP, PFR%, and fold to flop bet %. i dont use one now
<font color="blue">
Given you use no HUD, how do you develop reads while 8 tabling? Is it possible? Are you just super observant?
</font>
its not hard to pick up reads 8-tabling. easiest way is to see what people showdown. ill be 8-tabling, but at the same time im constantly checking hand histories to see how people play others. i know a HUD lets you see showdowned hands but it wont tell you the action
<font color="blue">
How do you table select without a hud?
</font>
buddy list + avg pot size + less regulars at table
<font color="blue">
Can you expound a bit on your advice of SSNL-ers getting better?
</font>
I'm assuming you mean value betting more in tougher situations correct? (i.e betting out your tptk hand on a 4 card straight river if theres a low % chance he'll have it rather than going into auto-check mode)
<font color="blue">
Also, what do you mean by "using your reads?" To what extent? Could you give a quick example if it's not too much trouble? Thanks.
</font>

you have TPTK. dude has showed no strength - do NOT be afraid to bet all 3 streets. people like to call more than they like to fold. bet for closer to pot. none of that half pot crap.

or a hand like this

you raise pf with AA, BB calls no reads

flop QJ2

he checks, you bet he calls

turn 5

he checks, you bet he calls

river Q

he checks, you ....bet. watch JT call you. TT. 99. dont be afraid

find out as soon as possible whos the calling station (loose passive), whos the weak tighty, whos the dumb lag at your table. play accordingly. if you post a hand saying "no reads" your only excuse should be its your first orbit at the table.
<font color="blue">
What type of question do you hate and feel is useless during your time on 2 + 2 and think players put too much emphasis into? </font>

worst questions imo are preflop questions. i dont think anyone can make too many significant preflop errors - improving postflop is where the edge of a good player is

Supposing you get in a flop situation where you have a medium to huge draw (possibly with some flopped piece like a pair) and your choices come down to check-call, b3b or crai. What kinds of things do you think about to make the best decision?

i think about preflop action. was i PFR, or was he? what is his range preflop? what is his range to call a c/r allin? what are his ranges to call rather than raise my flop bet? what does he think if i check-call?

does he fire second barrels on turns? would he check behind a strong hand like an overpair on a turn? and STACK SIZES are HUGEly important
<font color="blue">
.What are your thoughts on 'juicing the pot' with hands such as A3s/56s/22/etc. (ie. 4 limpers to you, you raise 2-3xbb with these such hands). This is a PF play that many SSNLers are divided over, and a play discussed in NL T&amp;P.
</font>
in position i am totally up for "juicing the pot" with hands like A3s/56s/22. people go broke far easier in raised pots rather than limped pots. i play 6-max though so i rarely have this situation. if im on the button, theres a max of 3 limpers in front of me, so i make a standard raise with 56s and 22 anyways rather than "juicing" the pot.
<font color="blue">
do you think any normal person of above average intelligence (but not like an einstein, just a fairly smart person) could learn to become a winning poker player at NL$100?
</font>
i think anyone with above average intelligence can beat up to NL 200 for at least 3 ptbb/100

i dont think theres really a "poker gift". maybe there is. i just think being consciously and unconsciously aware of whats happening at the table, having a good fundamental base of math/odds, and having a good idea how your opponents will react to your actions is what makes a good poker player.

the difference between great SSNL players and great MSNL players is that the great SSNL players havent taken enough shots yet or havent ran hot enough yet
the 20 buyin rule should let you move up fairly fast however.

20 buyins at 25 NL = $500.

running at 5 ptbb/100 at 25 NL nets you a buyin every 1k hands. which means 20k hands to move up to 50 NL.

same thing for 50 nl --&gt; 100 nl.

100 nl --&gt; 200nl.

200 nl --&gt; 400 nl.

this is assuming you can maintain 5 ptbb at limits up to and including 200 nl. i think lower than that with a good grasp of poker you can get 6+ ptbb fairly easily. 20k hands may seem like a lot, but with multitabling at around 4 tables, thats a little less than a month of playing.

if you put in the work and effort, you can move up while following that pesky 20 buyin rule.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Poker content from yvesaint in the well *long*

thanks for that
Old 08-31-2006, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Poker content from yvesaint in the well *long*

edit, 'cause I'm a dope.